Thirty Nine: Quarrel

Osano and I walked to the roof, but I had to go back to the classroom to get my lunch. As we sat on a bench, eating our lunch, I felt everyone's eyes on me. It felt so uncomfortable, I couldn't eat my lunch. "Amaya, are you okay?" Osano asked, in which I shook my head.

"Don't worry. It's going to be okay." He assured me as he wrapped his arm around me. I leaned my head on his shoulder and sighed. "I'm gonna go get a soda. You want one?" Osano asked as he stood up. "Wait. Don't go." I said, grabbing his hand.

"I won't be long. Don't worry." He said, giving me a reassuring smile. I slowly let go of his hand and he walked off to go get the sodas. While he was gone, I felt eyes on me as I heard them murmuring about me.

I started panicking as I bent over, covering my ears while closing my eyes tightly. "Amaya?"

I opened my eyes and looked up, hoping it was Osano as I took my hands off my ears. But instead of looking at Osano, I was looking at Amao. "Are you feeling okay? You seem shaken up." He said, taking a seat next to me. "I'm sorry. I'm just not feeling myself today." I said.

"I heard your brother and sister are in the hospital. What happened to them?" Amao asked. "I don't wanna talk about it." I said, shaking my head. "Oh... I'm sorry. Here, I made you this," Amao handed me plate with strawberry cheesecake.

"I thought maybe it could lift your spirits a little." He said. "Thanks, Amao." I said, gazing down at the cake. I took the fork I was provided and took a piece of the cheesecake, taking a bite out of it. "It's good. You're a really good cook." I said, swallowing the food.

"I'm glad you like it," Amao smiled. "Here, you have a little cheesecake on your face." He mentioned. He gently wiped the icing off my lips, making him blush. I was confused to why he blushed. Then again, this feels like a Déjà vu.

"I'm a little surprised you're not talking about me behind my back." I admitted. "Why would I do that?" He asked. I shrugged my shoulders. "Everyone's been talking about me behind my back. I don't even know why." I said.

Was it because my siblings are in the hospital? Was it because they heard about what the delinquents did to them? Why would they even have a need to talk about something like that?

As if hearing their mumbling, I bent over again and once again covered my ears. "Amaya? What's wrong?" Amao asked. I shook my head with a whimper. "I'm not feeling so well." I admitted.

"Hey! What do you think you're doing to her? Leave her alone!" I heard Osano yell. I didn't want to look up as I knew everyone was staring at us. "What are you doing here, Odayaka? Here to torment her and insult her in front of her face?" Osano asked, sounding angry.

I glanced at them as Osano stood in front of me. "Cool it, Najimi. I wasn't doing anything to her." Amao said as he stood up, putting his hands up in surrender. "Oh, yeah? Then, why are you here?" Osano demanded.

"Osano, stop..." I looked up and grabbed the end of his sleeve. "He didn't do anything. He was just being nice." I defended. "Yeah, I wasn't doing anything to her. I was just trying to make sure she was okay and everything." Amao chimed in.

"I'm not buying it." Osano said, glaring at him. "Osano, stop it. He wasn't doing anything wrong." I said. "I'm gonna go. I hope you feel better. Amaya." Amao said, waving to me as he left. "Tch. Who the hell does he think he is?" Osano sat down beside me as he watched Amao walk off.

"Here's your soda." He said, handing it to me. "Thanks. Osano, you really didn't have to do that. He was just checking on me." I explained.

"You sure?"

"Yes."

"Okay. Sorry for acting like that. I just wanna make sure he wasn't... you know, hurting you."

"I appreciate that. Thank you."

We finished our lunch, both of us just giving small talk.