Eighteen: The Pool

"No, no, no! Again from the top, darling!" Kizano instructed. I sighed and looked at the script again. "To be or not to be. That is the question. Whether it is nobler than the mind's eye-"

"No, darling! That's even worse than before!" Kizano said, getting mad. I stared at him with a blank face. To be honest, I wasn't really focused on the script right now. I was more concerned about where Nemesis-kun might be.

Was I worried? A little, because I wasn't sure if he could come back and kill me. I just couldn't get him out of my head. "Come now, darling! What happened to that energetic, breath-taking acting! That performance you did was beautiful! Why can't you bring that back to work on this piece?" Kizano said. I sighed and set the script down.

"Kizano, could we not do this today? I'm not in the mood right now. I'm sorry." I said. I left the Drama Club and walked down the hall. How much time do I have before P.E. starts? "Hey. Amaya," I looked ahead as Budo stood outside the Martial Arts Club.

"Can I talk to you for a sec?" He asked. I gave a slow nod and walked over to him. "Is there something wrong, Budo?" I asked as I stood in front of him. "Yeah... About your sister..." He started. "Did something happen to her?" I asked.

"What? No, no! Nothing like that! I was just... wondering what her situation was." He said. "Her... situation?" I repeated, confused. "You know... Like... Is she dating anyone?" Budo asked. "No, she isn't. Why do you ask?" I asked him.

"Well... Uh, no reason! Never mind!" He said. I raised a brow at him. "Uh... okay, then." I said. It didn't take me long to realize Budo had a crush on my sister. I walked around the school, trying to find my siblings until the lunchbell rang. That means it was time for P.E. class.

"Alright, everyone! On your feet! Time's a-wasting! Let's get moving!" Asu called. Today, we were supposed to be swimming laps in the pool. But me, I just sat at the edge of the pool while slowly kicking my legs under the water. I wasn't much of a swimmer.

I stared down into the water as I kicked my legs. "You're not gonna go in?" Yan-kun asked. "No, you can go in without me, Yan-kun. I'll just stay here and watch you." I said. "You should really learn how to swim, Amaya. It might just save your life someday." Yan-kun commented.

"Leave her alone, Yan-kun. Come on." Ayano said as she had her towel. I watched as my siblings went into the pool. Yes, I didn't know how to swim. I haven't been in a pool since I was a kid. I've never really learned how to swim. Thinking about it now... it kind of makes me feel like a loser.

I'm a girl in high school who doesn't know how to swim. How lame is that? "Hey, why look so down, Amaya?" Asu asked as he swam over to me. "I just don't feel like swimming today." I said in an emotionless tone. "On a bright day like this? Nonsense! Come on, I'll give you a few swimming lessons." Asu said as he took my wrist.

"No!" I yanked my wrist out of his hold. "Huh?" Asu gave a confused look. "Why not? You're not afraid of the water, are you?" He asked. "Of course not. I just... can't swim." I said, a little embarrassed. "It's okay. I've got you. You can trust me." Asu said, gently.

I looked at him as his hand was held out to me. "You'll be okay. Trust me." He said with a smile. "O... Okay." I said, gently taking his hand. Asu smiled as he guided me into the water. "It's easy. All you have to do is kick your legs." Asu intructed as he held me.

I gave a small nod as I braced his shoulders while gently kicking my legs. "See? You've got the hang of it." Asu said. "I guess." I shrugged. "Now, I'm going to let you go now." Asu said. I got nervous when he said that, then gave a nod.

Asu slowly let me go, but the moment he did, I instantly got scared. "No!" I yelled in panic and clung to him for dear life. "Amaya, it's okay! I've got you!" He said, holding me. "It's okay. You're okay. I've got you." Asu said, gently.

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have reacted like that." I apologized. "It's okay. It happens." Asu said as he held me. A blush slowly formed on my face as he held me. I've felt this way before with Oko. But I still fail to understand what it means. What is it supposed to mean?