Five: Arrested

After lunch, I thanked Osano for the bento, then headed down to the Occult Club to complete my sister's assignment. Once I was there, I looked around to make sure there wasn't anyone in the room.

"Okay, the Occult Club members will be back any minute. So, I need to make this quick." I said to myself. I entered the Occult Room and walked over to the Ritual Knife before taking it out of the skull. "I wonder what she needs this for?" I asked myself as I examined the knife.

Killing or maybe just for framing? I don't know. I tucked the knife in my skirt pocket, then headed out of the room. Right when I turned the corner, I bumped into Oko. "Oko. I didn't see you there." I said. "Why were you running? Are in some kind of trouble?" He asked.

"No, no trouble. I just need to get to my sister." I explained. "Oh... That's good..." Oko took my hand and raised it to his face, gently placing my hand on his cheek. "I'd hate to think you were in some kind of trouble... It would make me very... worried about you." He said.

I blushed slightly and slipped my hand off his cheek. "I... I have to go. I'm really sorry for bumping into you, Oko. I'll see you later." I said before running off.

Ayano stood out of her classroom, waiting for me. "I'm here." I said, running over to her. "What took you so long?" She asked as she got off the wall.

"Sorry, I got caught up with some stuff. Anyway, I have the..." I trailed off as Saki walked into the classroom, looking at us, suspiciously. "I have the Ritual Knife." I whispered to my sister.

"Thanks, Amaya. Nice work." She said as I handed her the knife. "What do you plan on using it for?" I asked her. "I'll explain later. Just get to class. I'll see you soon." Ayano said. "Okay." I gave a nod and headed to class.

I went to my own classroom and took my seat. I really hope Aso's okay. Maybe I should check on him after class.

(Time skip)

When class was over, I packed up my bag and waited for Ayano by the gates. "Come on, Ayano. Where are you?" I mumbled before looking at my phone. She's not usually this late. Then again, she could be spying on Taro.

After waiting there for three minutes, I got a text from Ayano:

Go on home without me. I'll be there a little late. Something came up. See you tonight.

-Ayano.

"That's strange. I wonder what came up?" I wondered. I tucked my phone in my pocket and walked home. Once I got home, I took off my shoes and left them by the door. Yan-kun had Martial Arts after school, so he was going to be home a little late. 

I went to my room and did my homework while listening to music. When I was finished with my homework, I looked at the time, seeing that I had a few minutes before dinner. Even though Ayano doesn't like me cooking breakfast, she doesn't have a problem with me cooking dinner.

I made my sister's and my brother's favorite meal and waited at the dinner table. I waited for about an hour until I heard the front door opened. I went over to the door to see if it was my brother or sister.

"Welcome home, Yan-kun." I said as he was taking off his jacket. "Hey." He greeted. I took his jacket and hung it on the coat rack. "Ayano didn't come home with you?" I asked. "No, I thought she was already here." He said.

"No, she texted me, saying something came up at school. I made dinner for you, but it's a little cold." I mentioned. "Could you heat it up for me?" He asked. "Sure." I nodded. I went back to the dining room and heated up Yan-kun's plate.

The two of us ended up eating dinner without Ayano. After dinner, I cleaned up the kitchen and washed the dishes. As it got later and later, I started getting a little worried about Ayano. "Sis... Where are you?" I mumbled.

I wrapped up Ayano's dinner and put it in the fridge. After I washed the dishes, I got ready for bed. To pass the time, I played Yanvania: Senpai of the Night for a while until I got bored and paused the game.

I sighed and gazed at my ceiling. "What's taking you so long, Sis?" I asked. I took out my phone to see if I got any messages from here, but there were none. "Hey, Amaya," Yan-kun knocked on my door before opening it. "Hey, Yan-kun. What's up?" I asked.

"Turn on your TV. Channel 7." He said. I grabbed the remote off my bed and turned on the TV, switching to Channel 7. "This evening, at Akademi High School, a young girl named Ayano Aishi, was arrested for the murder of a fellow student by the name of Kokona Haruka," I narrowed my eyes at the TV screen as I listened to more of the event.

"Ayano Aishi's fingerprints were found on the knife that was used to kill Kokona Haruka and the victim was killed with a knife that belonged to a club known as the Occult Club."

"Ayano's in jail?" I asked, looking at Yan-kun. "Looks like it. Which means, Senpai is all mine!" Yan-kun cheered. "How could you say that?! Your sister's in jail and all you care about right now is Taro?! You're such a jerk, Yan-kun! Jerk! Jerk! Jerk!" I yelled, angrily while pounding my fists against his chest.

"Okay, okay! Stop hitting me!" I backed away with a frown. "Yes, that was rude of me. I'm sorry." Yan-kun apologized. "We have to get Ayano out of jail." I said. "With what money?" He asked.

"Funny you said that. Come on."

I walked past him, heading to Mom's room. "What are we doing in Mom's room?" Yan-kun asked. "Mom always keeps emergency money in her drawer." I said as I searched through her drawer.

Before Mom left us all alone, she left us with a ton of money to help us get by. "Are you crazy?! We can't steal from Mom!" Yan-kun said. "Hey, she said, we could use this money in case of an emergency and this is an emergency." I stated.

"Well... I guess this is an emergency. Okay, we'll use the money and bail out out Ayano tomorrow morning." Yan-kun said. "Sounds like a plan. But won't we miss class?" I asked. "Amaya, what's more important: School or your sister?" He asked, bluntly.

"Okay, okay. We'll go tomorrow morning." I said. "Good. Let's get some sleep." He said, leaving the room. 'I hope Ayano would be okay in jail just for the night.' I thought before going to bed.

(Wednesday)

The next morning, like Yan-kun and I discussed last night, we headed to the prison where Ayano was being held, and bailed her out with the money. "Thanks for bailing me out, guys. I definitely owe you one." Ayano said as we walked out of jail.

"But what's gonna happen now? Now that everyone knows you killed Kokona, your reputation could be ruined." I said. "Don't worry, I have a plan. Once we get to school, we'll go straight to Info-chan's room." Ayano said.

"Info-chan's room? What do we need to go to her for?" Yan-kun asked. "You'll see." Ayano replied. "How is she going to help us?" I asked. All Ayano did in response was smirk. Do I trust that smirk? A little, yeah.