Chapter 1 - In the Beginning

"Tou-san! Tou-san! Wanna play ninja with me?" A small boy with a mop of bright blonde hair asked, craning his neck to look up at his father.

After a moment of silence, the boy's father absentmindedly reached down and ruffled his hair without looking up from his paperwork.

"I'm sorry Naruto, but I have a lot of paperwork that I have to do. I promise that when I'm finished I'll play with you." Hearing this, Naruto sighed and smiled sadly.

"Oh, okay." The blonde child then turned around and slowly exited his dad's office. Once he was out of the building, he started walking briskly. Making sure not to make eye contact with any of the people he passed.

"Look, it's the demon brat," Keep walking.

"Can you believe he's the Fourth's son?" Deep breaths.

"I hear he killed Kushina-san after she gave birth to him!" Keep your mouth shut.

"So that's why we never see him with Minato-san, I mean, who'd want to be seen with a monster like him." You can't let them see you cry.

Feeling several pairs of eyes burning holes in his back, Naruto clenched his hands and started running. Taking extra care not to make any kind of physical contact with the villagers as he weaved through them.

"Watch where you're going, demon," The blonde was roughly shoved to the ground, but before anyone could reach out to him he bolted, running as fast as his six-year-old legs could carry him.

When he finally arrived at his safe haven, Naruto stood up on a red stool and leaned over the counter in front of him with a bright grin. "Teuchi-san! Ayame-neesan! Today's the day 'ttebayo!" As soon as those words left his lips, a man and a girl emerged from the back of the shop.

"You're already leaving us already huh, Naruto." The man, Teuchi said with a small smile. The blonde boy nodded his head vigorously.

"You both have done so much for me. Getting out of your hair is the least I can do." Ayame smiled warmly and ruffled Naruto's blonde locks.

"You were never a bother to begin with. But if you really want this then I'll get the money." The small child grinned cheekily and hummed in confirmation, and the brunette went to retrieve a large sack that jingled every time she took a step. Ayame dropped the sack onto the counter where Naruto could reach it.

"Here you go! This should be enough to buy an apartment somewhere."

"Thank you for everything Ayame-neesan! Teuchi-ojisan!" Teuchi smiled and patted Naruto on the head just before the blonde hopped off the stool with the sack of money.

"You're a good kid, Naruto. We helped you because we wanted to. That goofy smile is all the thanks we need."

The blonde turned around and grinned at his two parental figures, before turning around and disappearing into the bustling streets of Konoha. As he weaved his way through the crowd, he swore he heard someone yell, "Make sure to stop by sometime!" Naruto stopped walking and turned to look behind him. Although he couldn't see the Ramen stand through the mass of people, he smiled and silently promised that he would.

_______________________________________

"Is that really the White Fang's son?"

"He doesn't look like much."

"And yet he managed to get both of his teammates killed."

"I heard that Sakumo killed himself because he was so ashamed of him!"