Broken Promises

Brandon's POV

I wake up as the sun begins to come up. Pulling my dead arm from underneath Callie, I run my fingers through my hair as I stare up the clock. The clock says it's nearly seven, meaning that we've been sleeping for nearly fifteen hours. I turn back over to look at Callie who looks like she's in a deep slumber. I gently get up, trying not to disturb her, even though I know that she's probably too out to even wake up anytime soon. Pulling on a hoodie and searching through my closet for a pair of running sneakers, I pull out a torn and worn out pair of Nike's. I quickly scribble a note to Callie and grab my keys and phone. Pulling on my shoes, I jog down the stairs, purposely avoiding my moms' room and run out the door. As I reach for the door, I hear a noise in the kitchen, and then see my mom appear. Lena gets up from the couch, and I'm suddenly confronted by my mothers, their arms folden and a look of dispare on their faces. 

" Brandon, you can't just run away from your problems." Lena says first, her voice soft and gentle. Typical Lena.

" B, what the hell were you thinking? I never thought that sending you two, to the same school would be an issue. I just never thought you would be this irresponsible." My mother looks like she's about to cry.

I wrap my arms around her and plead for forgiveness, but I know that nothing will ever fix this.

" Where were you planning on going anyway, mister?" Lena says sternly, although she looks like she's pretending to play bad cop, something my mom has always been much better at.

" I just wanted to clear my head, that's all." I say quickly, and begin to head back to the door. " I'll be back by dinner. Promise." I open the door slowly.

" Dinner, that's hours away.How about breakfast, in about an hour?" Lena suggests, and I laugh softly and nod.

I run until I get lost. The windless streets of the complex outside of my area has never been so confusing. Hours have past, when I decide to sit at a curb outside one of the newer houses in the complex. Suddenly I hear a voice, and I jump slightly.

" I would say I'm sorry for scaring the hell out of you, but you are on my lawn, you realize right?" I hear Lou say as she walks up to me.

I quickly stand up and shockingly apoligize, " Lou, wow, you look great. I haven't seen you for years." 

Lou laughs and pulls me in for a bear hug. " Foster, I haven't seen you since-" She stambers and quickly refrases saying, " I haven't seen you in almost three years. You look good too." 

" When did you move here?" I ask her, remembering that she used to live in a bad neighborhood just on the outskirts of San Diego.

" My mom finally left my dad, and married my stepdad Robert. He's got a little bit of money, huh?" She says laughing.

" Yeah, I would say so. But really Lou, you look great." I say again, blushing.