Secrets of the Heart

I haven't sat in my seat in nearly a year, and somehow it feels completly wrong. Brandon sits across from me, but suddenly he seems so far away. He reaches for my hand under the table, a sign we always had when we used to keep our relationship a secret, a sign of safetly.  I look up at him, and see that his eyes are sunken and sullen. Before I speak, Lena walks in, places her hands on the table, and pouts.

" Is everything okay?" I ask nervously.

" Yes, Jesus decided to take Sammy out for dinner tonight, although I swear that I must have told him a million times that you too were-" Lena begins, clearly upset.

" How about Jude and Marianna?" Brandon asks, reading my mind perfectly.

" He's at a poetry reading, he's really into those things now, you know. And Marianna is with Zac, visiting his dad in Arizona." Stef says as she walks into the kitchen holding Carter. I take Carter from her arms and coo and kiss him, missing his sweet smile more than anything. 

We eat in silence before Brandon clears his throat and says, " We need to tell you something important."

Lena puts her fork down and looks over at us both, " Are you having trouble at school, Brandon?" Then she turns to me, " Are you, Callie?" 

" No, we're doing fine- at school. I'm pregnant." I say, coming out more naturally than I had originally believed that it would.