Chapter 22 [📱]

Start from the beginning

My eyes widened. "Wha—what? Why?"

He smiled and began cleaning out the scratches on my arm. "Because your first instinct as a sister was to protect Sam" He reached up and began stroking my hair. "There will come a time when your mom and I won't be here anymore. And Sam would only have you left to protect her."

"Dad..."

"Will you promise me something, Y/N?" he asked and I nodded. "Will you always protect your sister? No matter what happens, will you always be by her side?"

"Of course," I answered. He grinned at my answer and began ruffling my hair. I looked at my mom who was smiling at me and my sister who was looking at me curiously.

"You're a good sister, Y/N," he said. "I'm proud to call you my daughter."

-//-//-//-//-//-

Tears were falling from my eyes the moment I woke up.

I didn't know if they were born from joy that I saw Sam again or sadness because I've lost two people in that memory now. I wiped the tears away, intent on being strong and on top of the situation today. The moment I reached beside me, however, I instantly frowned.

Camila wasn't here.

Slowly, I sat up and looked around but she was nowhere to be found. As soon as I thought that, I felt my heart ache. After my dad and Sam, did she finally leave me too? Was I the reason why everyone was leaving?

"She's in the bathroom," I heard someone say. I looked around and my eyes landed on my phone on the nightstand. "Surprised to see me on your phone again?"

The last time Phantasm and I talked, she was hugging me and telling me I should attend the funeral and be strong for my mom. She drove me there but didn't get out of the car. When I came back, she was already gone.

"So could you get out of my phone at any time?"

Phantasm nodded. "I don't like doing it much because some people get scared that I can live in their world instead of just this world," she replied, motioning around her. "Did Camila help you get a good sleep?"

For the first time since I can remember, I felt a genuine smile cross my face. "She did. Being with her helped me see Sam again."

Phantasm smiled back. "She didn't leave. When she woke up she made sure to place a kiss on your head before she went to the bathroom."

"You must be happy about this," I said, grinning.

She answered with a sad smile. "Not until you open up your heart to her again."

After all of this loss, was I ready to let Camila in again? Phantasm thinks so. Heck, even my sister thought so. Whatever decision I make, I just hope I make the correct one.

I cleared my throat and took a deep breath. "I need to make a wish. What's my requirement for the day?"

"Let Camila help."

"What?" I asked, visibly surprised.

"Whatever you plan to do today, let Camila help. This," she held up a hand to stop me when I opened my mouth, "is not about me wanting you two together. This is about Camila being right and the fact that you need someone to be with you right now. Don't shut out the people that want to help."

"Phantasm, I don't—"

The words melted from my mouth as Camila made her way out of the bathroom. She was drying her hair with a towel as our eyes collided. She was wearing my clothes and for some reason it took my breath away.