Chapter 21 [📱]

Depuis le début

On the night Sam died, I didn't feel anything but sadness overwhelm me. And I let it, sadness was better than feeling numb after all. But when I woke up the next morning, that sadness was replaced by anger and I needed someone to blame. First, I blamed God for taking such a young life from her family. But my anger was not satiated. Then I started blaming Jason for driving recklessly. However, I realized that he was only helping Sam. And right now, he was in a hospital bed in a coma. The truck driver was the only person left. But how could I blame someone who died on the spot?

And that's why my eyes landed on Drew. Deep inside, I knew it wasn't his fault. I knew Sam was smart and would've done everything she could if she wanted to see me. But as I pulled my hand from Macy's grip and stalked towards him, there was only blind rage in my features.

Someone had to take the blame.

Before he could defend himself, I landed a punch square on Drew's jaw. He fell on one of the pews but I was relentless. I grabbed the front of his shirt and punched him again. There had to be some special place in hell I was going to for punching someone inside a church but right now, I didn't care.

"You killed her!" I heard myself shout as another punch landed on his face.

I felt hands grab my arms and body to pull me away from him. I flailed against them and managed to kick Drew's chest before they completely restrained me. As they helped him stand up, I watched the blood flow from Drew's mouth and eyebrow. All I could think about was that it wasn't enough. He needed to bleed like my sister did. He needed to feel the same pain my sister did.

"How dare you," I started, still flailing around. "How dare you call yourself a bodyguard?"

Drew wiped away the blood dripping from his mouth with his sleeve. He leaned on someone for support and looked at me. "You're right," he breathed out. "I don't... deserve to be a bodyguard."

"You don't deserve to live! You should be dead, not Sam!"

"Don't you think I thought about that?" he yelled back. "Don't you think I wish I took her place? Don't you think I wish I was on that casket right now instead of her? Every single fucking minute I do."

"You killed her," I said through gritted teeth. "When you put her on that plane, you killed her."

He chuckled bitterly. "Sure... blame me because it's easy. You think I'm the one that killed Sam? Why don't you look in a mirror?"

I could feel everyone's gaze land on me as his words echoed throughout the hollow walls. But I didn't back down and began flailing even harder. "You asshole!"

"No, you're the asshole!" he bit back. "Do you know what Sam said to me on that plane ride? She told me you'd changed! She told me you weren't the sister she knew anymore!"

By now, I was slack against the arms holding me back. "You—you're lying."

His laugh echoed throughout the hollowed walls of the church. "Why would I lie? I probably won't ever get a job because of this. Because everyone would blame me like you are. Everyone would throw stones at me as I walk down the street for killing Y/N L/N's sister. So tell me, what cause do I still have to lie?" He chuckled and looked away from me. "You only think it's a lie because you can't accept the truth."

"No, I—"

"You can't accept the truth that you killed your sister." No one dared say a word against Drew's accusation. "She missed you so much. She missed your jamming sessions in the car." I let out a choked breath at his words. It was something that happened before Phantasm. He couldn't have known that unless—

"Your sister told me about your past. Think I'm lying yet?" The arms around me all pulled away and I was left gaping at Drew. "She missed the times when she was your biggest fan—your only fan. Then what happened? When you got famous you stopped talking to her anymore. You get angry when she calls you. She told me she was scared that you would leave like someone."