Chapter 12 - Just Friends

It had been a day and they had determined that she would be alive, thank God. Peyton and Dylan were now both at the hospital. Of course, her family was sent in first before any of us. Then it was me. I walked in. I always got this nervous feeling when someone I loved was at the hospital. I felt instantly shy all of a sudden. 

I walked in and she was propped up. She smiled at my entrance. The door closed and I walked over to her and gave her a hug. "How're you feeling?" "The best." She replied sarcastically. I laughed for a moment and sat on the side of her bed. "How'd it happen?" She started from beginning to what she remembered. About how the car was far away so she thought she'd make it across. It turns out the driver was drunk. 

I was just glad that she was okay. After a few minutes of talking, mostly about Peyton and Dylan, I went out and let Peyton see her. I looked like a total mess in my pajamas and my hair up, including my smeared make up. I wrapped my arms around mom. "I'm glad she's okay." I whispered. "Me too dear, me too."

After about a minute, I sat down with Dylan. "How's she doing?" "Better than last night, which is always a good thing." After a while of hanging out, they said that Layla would be coming out within the next two days but visiting time was over for the day.

"Can we go for a ride again? It's fun to talk to you." Dylan asked me when we were walking out the door. I looked at my mom. "That sounds like a good idea. Go ahead, Aubs." I smiled. "Thanks mom." Dylan secretly took my hand and led me to the car. I got in and then he did. 

It was silent for the first few minutes. I didn't really know what to talk about but it seems like something is on his mind. I fumbled with my thumbs and then I looked up at the road. The car came to a halt, we were at a stoplight. He moved his hand towards mine and grabbed it. I looked down and smiled a bit. 

"What's the smile for?" I looked up at Dylan and he smiled. I smiled. "Oh, I don't know. You just make me happy." How I said that really made me sound like we were a couple. It was awkward but it wasn't. I felt like I had said the right thing at the right time. "You make me really happy too. I don't think you realize it sometimes." He said, gripping a little tighter on my hand. I just smiled again. "I'm glad I make you happy."

"Aubree, can I ask you a serious question?" Something happened in my stomach. "Um, sure." I said, getting pretty anxious. He paused. I started to get a little nervous. "Have you ever thought about us?" He empasized us. "Like what do you mean?" Dylan stared at the road and smiled a little bit. "I mean, like, us, more than friends." I thought about it for a second, and I had. "I mean, yeah, a few times." Dylan never once let go of my hand. "Then be mine for real."