Chapter 11 - Just Friends

A simple hug and a kiss on the cheek made my night a little better before I went into my house for bed. "Hey honey, how was Hoot Fest?" asked my mom as soon as I walked through the door. She was wiping her hands on the dish towel, I was guessing she just got done cleaning. I looked at the time. Already 1 in the morning. My mom loved her late night cleaning but I just noticed that me and Dylan had rode around for 2 hours straight. 

"It was pretty good." She smiled. "I've missed you." She hugged me tight. "I have a serious question." I kind of got worried when she asked that. "You and Dylan.. Are y'all together?" I almost busted out laughing. "Why would you think that?" "I don't know. It just seems.. you're happier." I was almost always happy with him, besides the first night of Hoot Fest. But still. "Haha, mom. I'm always happy with him. But no, we're just the same old bestfriends." 

After a few minutes, I went upstairs and changed into pajamas. I threw my hair up into a bun and I was about to set down my phone when I got a call. I checked and it was from Peyton. 

New text from: Peyton Sanders! 

Hey have you heard from Layla? 

I replied: No, I haven't. Why?

Peyton: Well I got off the phone with her about 9:30. She said she was going on a late night walk? 

Me: No, I'll call her and tell you if I hear from her. 

I called Layla but there was no answer. I went to my window and looked down the street to where her house was. A car was gone and the lights were on. I know it was late, but I was a little worried. I called the house phone and no one answered. I called her mom's phone and she immediately answered. She was sobbing. "What's wrong?" I asked, completely panicing. "Au-Au-Aubree. Sh-she's at the hospital." I was instantly running downstairs. Thank the good Lord above my mom was fully awake. "I'll be right there." Before she could answer, I ended the call. 

"Mom. We have to go." I said frantically. "What's wrong?!" "I'm not sure, all I know is Layla's at the hospital!" My mom treated Layla like her other daughter so she was already up and grabbing the keys. I jumped in the car. I was trying my best to stay strong but the tears started to fall before she could even start the car. Then I remembered, I needed to call Peyton. 

"Peyton. Hospital, now." was the first and only thing I said when he answered. He ended up ending the call before I could. I knew he was on his way. My mom pulled into the hospital and I was already unbuckled. As soon as she stopped, I was out of the car. I bolted in, my mom right behind me. I went to the lady behind the desk. "I'm looking for Layla Nejuisd;falsdkj." I said frantically. She gave me the information, including visitor weren't allowed into the room with her yet. I ran into the elevator with my mom and we finally got up to the floor. It seemed like years before we got there though. 

I instantly walked into the waiting room and saw her mom and her dad. Her mom ran up to me and hugged me. Tears were running down both of our faces. "What happened?" I managed to get out. She pulled back,  her hands on my shoulders. She took a deep breath. "She went out for a walk around 10 or so. I guess she was crossing the road and she got hit by a car. They said it's possible for her to live. POSSIBLE." She pulled me back into a hug. Possible? POSSIBLE?