Chapter 22

Elena's POV

It's been 2 days since that night. Two days since I've found the truth behind 4 years. I didn't bring much clothes so I sneaked back home one night to get the necessities.

My phone has been off for the longest time now and I'm ready to switch it back on. I long press the button and my phone starts vibrating with messages.

Mia: Elena we're worried call us when you can! Is everything alright?

Kira: El we're sorry, Zack told us.

Steven: I don't blame you but come back this isn't helping anyone.

Caleb: Yo Elena if you're in France say hey to Xavier!

Daniel: I'm sorry you found out this way. I'm sure she loved you and there's an explanation, stay strong El and I'll pick you up just tell me where you're at.

My eyes water at the memories of that night. I can't believe I'm running away from the people that care but I needed this. I got my mind cleared a little bit, it's still a shock to me. I scroll down and notice tons of messages and 26 missed calls from Diego.

Diego: I'm waiting at our spot, refrain from using the bat. I know I messed up today.

Diego: Are you coming? Princessa I shouldn't have lied and I'm sorry but I just can't tell you, I prefer you hating me rather than hating someone else. It's complicated but don't distance yourself.

Diego: You're not in school? Elena answer me this isn't a joke.

I scroll lower and swipe to the most recent message when my phone vibrates. I accidentally answer and place it to my ear.

"Oh thank god!" Diego exclaims into the phone and I find myslef breathing deeper. "Princessa answer me please." He begs with a desperate tone and I sit down on the squeaky bed."Princessa say something. Tell me that I messed up, tell me that you hate me! Tell me I've been a jerk beacuse lord knows I was the biggest retard on the face of the planet for lying. I shouldn't have, tell me I'm an idiot please say something I need to hear your voice. Say something Elena, say something."

I hear a locker being slammed and it makes sense beacuse they're at school.

"When will I see you again?" He says and I can't bring myslef to speak. Steven is right, distancing myslef from everyone and everything isn't alright but what do I get when I open up? My walls come crashing down. I can and will get over this on my own I don't need help.

"Love answer me." He sighs and I shake my head. Love yeah right. You don't lie to your love. Unless you're protecting them and doing your best to make them happy... I messed up in a way. But so did he. He lied about knowing the truth.

I end the call and shove my phone into my bag. I'll stay here for the day and go back at night, I don't need anyone seeing that I'm back.

~•~•~•~•~•~

It's 10 pm and I'm driving home. I notice I'm close to the little clearing so I pull up and park my car on the side of the road.

Making my way through all the trees I smile at the spot, my favorite spot of all. I sit on the log and notice that Diego has been drawing in the dirt. A part looks like he kicked it and messed it all up. The top looks like a weird letter m and the bottom is a v.