Chapter 21

Elena's POV

I close the door of the house. I can't believe he wouldn't tell me. What's this about mom? Mom is gone. Why are they bringing her up? A stray tear makes its way down my cheek and I hastily wipe it away. He doesn't trust me enough to tell me anything, he thinks I'm still a weak little kid.

I get into my car this time and pull out of the driveway. Making my way down the street I notice all the scenery and something in my heart aches. It hurts. It burns. It wants to break but I need to remain strong.

I turn a corner and the words are taunting me.

Mom. Mom. Mom.

Weak! He doesn't think you can take the truth.

The truth... all I ever wanted was the truth. I can take it.

I stop the car once I see Diego's bike. Something in my heart rips out of my chest. I lean back into my seat and try to control my breathing.

Everyone's hiding the truth from me. All I ever wanted was the truth. He doesn't trust me enough to tell me. Zack didn't trust me, he didn't think I could take the cheating. Dad hid Rebecca from me for a year. Mia and Kira know something, I still don't know what. I heard them talking one night but I didn't catch all the details.

They're all keeping me in a protective bubble but it's better to be faced with the truth rather than to be comforted with a lie.

I step out of the car and feel a pang in my chest. Maybe Diego knows something. Would he tell me? He's the only one I can turn to right now.

~•~•~•~•~•~•~

Diego's POV

I run my fingers through my hair in frustration praying to God that Elena doesn't know a thing. She doesn't need this right now. Any of this.

The leaves behind me rustle and I turn around to see her in tears. My heart breaks at the sight and I don't know what to do. I can't say a thing, it's not my place to say, it's not my place to voice an opinion. She looks down and I run up to her, she can't hold herself together so I do what I do best. I wrap my arms around her and hold her from falling into pieces.

I can't blame her, I'd break too.

"Princessa shh." I rub her back in circles and wipe her tears away the best I can.

"I don't-" She croaks out and I hold her tighter. Her dad shouldn't have told her, I never knew.

"It's alright Elena I'm here." I whisper into her hair and she nods.

"I don't know anything. He won't tell me anything, he thinks I'm weak!" She screams and I stand there stunned. She doesn't know, he kept it to himslef. Thank goodness.

"What's there to know?" I ask cautiously.

"I don't know, and that's the thing. I don't." She wipes her tears away and turns to face me fully. "Do you know?"

I do.

"I don't," I look at her fragile figure as guilt consumes me. "I'm sorry princessa."

Sorry for lying.

~•~•~•~•~•

Elena's POV

Diego: Princessa where are you?

Me: Stayed to ask the teacher a few questions, be there in 3.

I hurry to the cafeteria when the bitch trio magically appears right in front of me. I roll my eyes and push through them with ignorance in ever step.