moving day

Jack speaking
Mitch speaking
Jack's POV
That damned day was finally here- the day Mitch leaves to go to Toronto for development camp. Both Mitch and I decided it would be best to share one last lunch before he leaves. "Hi Mitch." I spoke as I enveloped him in a tight hug. "Hi jack." He said as he returned my hug. "Where do you want to go for lunch?"
"How about Applebee's?"
"Sounds good to me!"
On the way to Applebee's, a song by my favourite band, Good Times by All Time Low, came on the radio. I loved this song, as did Mitch, so we both sang along. The song also fit our current situation.
-------------------
We finally arrived at Applebee's. It wasn't crowded since it's more of a dinner place than a lunch place. I ordered coffee and a bacon cheeseburger and Mitch ordered water and grilled chicken.
------skip eating------
The ride home was rather quiet. We were both preparing for the task at hand: saying goodbye. Neither one of us were ready for it but we put on a front as if we were ready. We were finally home after what felt like the longest car ride ever. Mitch went up to his room to go pack and I followed suit. I sat on his bed as he riffled through his closet. I just sat on his bed, watching him pack, not saying anything. There wasn't anything to say. Once he was done packing, he sat down on his bed next to me. Neither one of us said a word, we just sat there enjoying each other's company. This moment was something I had dreamed of. The only part I didn't dream about- we weren't together in the way I wanted to be. Sure, we were friends, even best friends, but we weren't a couple like I wanted to be. I wasn't naive, however. I knew he would never see me that way. If anything, he probably saw me as a sister. I wanted to be with him so bad, more than everything I've ever wanted. It hurt that we couldn't be together, but at least he was my friend.
---skip to airport---
We were on our way to gate 7A for Mitch's flight to Toronto. He had an hour and a half until boarding so we sat down in the boarding area. "Hey Mitch, I have something to tell you."
"What is it,jack?"
"Well, you know how I got into the University of Calgary?"
He nodded.
"I never told you but I also applied to the University of Toronto," as soon as he heard Toronto, his face lit up, "and I got in."
"Oh my god that's great! How come you didn't tell me earlier?" He wrapped me in a tight hug.
"I wanted it to be a surprise until now."
"Gate 7A is now boarding." Both of us looked straight at each other when we heard those dreaded words come from the PA system. "Well, I guess this is it."
"I guess it is." The change in our moods was tangible, from happy to sad in the blink of an eye. We hugged so tight as if we weren't going to see each other ever again. Even though that wasn't true, it felt like it was.
"Bye, Mitch. And don't forget me, please." I choked out with tears in my eyes.
"I won't, I promise. I couldn't forget you if I tried."