draft day

JACK'S POV
Today is the day I hoped would somehow never come. It's the day before I have to say goodbye to Mitch. This is my worst nightmare, I honestly don't know what I'll do without him. I won't be able to find anyone to replace him in university.
------------------------
We finally arrived at the NHL Draft which is in Florida this year. We all got out, we being Mitch, his parents, his brother, and I. We walked into the arena and damn, I've never seen so many people in one place before now. Mitch went to say hi to his friends and told me to come with him because I haven't been introduced to his friends before. "Connor! What's up, man?" Mitch pulled Connor in for a bro hug. "Oh, Connor, this is my friend, jack." Even though we aren't a couple or anything and that would never happen, it hurt to only be his friend, nothing more.
"Hi, it's nice to meet you, Connor." I put out my hand to shake his. "Hi, jack, it's nice to meet you too." He shook my hand, smiling at me, which made me smile back.
I met his other friend Dylan, who had the same response. Then someone came over the PA system, "Everybody please take your seats, the draft will be starting in a moment." We all sat down, nervous but ready for the draft to begin. The Edmonton Oilers management team walked onto the stage, but everyone knew who they would pick so it's almost like the didn't even need to go up. "The Edmonton Oilers pick Connor McDavid from the Erie Otters." Everyone cheered for Connor as he got out of his seat and made his way to the stage. After that was over, the Buffalo Sabres went up to the stage. "The Buffalo Sabres pick Jack Eichel from Boston University." Everyone clapped and cheered for him. Next, the Phoenix (Arizona) Coyotes picked Dylan Strome. Next, the Toronto Maple Leafs picked Mitch!
He got up out of his seat and so did I do he could hug me, then his family, and then made his way to the stage. I was so happy for him!
--skip rest of draft--
We walked out of the arena, congratulating Mitch, and got in the car. We went out to dinner at a nearby restaurants. I had what I normally get, a burger. Mitch had salmon,his mom and dad got shrimp, and his brother got steak. After dinner, we went back to the hotel we were staying at for the night since we had a flight early tomorrow morning. At 11, we all went to bed to rest for our 5 am flight. If only this flight wasn't booked so early, I thought to myself.
--skip to next morning--
We all woke up at 3 am to get ready to leave for our dreadfully early morning flight. Everyone was ready surprisingly quickly and we were able to leave at 3:30. We arrived at the airport at 4, got our bags checked, and went to our gate. I'm going to sit with Mitch, his parents are sitting together, and his brother sat behind them at the window. We boarded the plane after what felt like eternity. Now came my least favourite part, waiting for everyone to get on the plane and listening to the air stewardess instruct us on the safety precautions and procedures. Finally, we took off. I decided to take a nap the whole flight to make it go by faster, and because I was tired from the night before.
--skip flight--
When we got home, Mitch and I decided to walk around the town since he would be leaving soon. We walked in silence for a while, which is unusual for us. All I could thinks about is how he would have to leave for Toronto within the next few days. I think we were both thinking about that, I mean, when something like that is happening, how can you not think about it? "Jack, are you okay?" Mitch looked at me, worry showing in his facial expression. "If I'm going to be honest, no, Mitch." I was getting choked up already, ugh.
"Because I'll be-" I cut him off before e could finish, "don't say it, Mitch. We both already know it's happening and I'm trying to keep my mind off of it, but it's not working." I started getting teary eyed and I couldn't look at him, I didn't want to show how much this affected me and how vulnerable I am right now. "Aw, jack, c'mere." He put his arms around me and brought me into his chest. I cried into his chest, it might seem like I do this often but I swear I don't. "I don't know if I'm going to handle this. I'm not even joking I don't know if I can. It's not like I could live with you either, if I were to drive from Calgary to Toronto it would take 32 hours. I can at least fly out to Toronto but I want to see you more often than that." "I'm sure you can survive this, you're one of the strongest people I know." "Maybe I guess. Wow, everyone you know must be a wimp." "No, jack, they aren't. You're a strong girl, trust me. I've seen you in every situation. The rough patches, the good times, you name it I've seen you live through it." "Aw, thanks, Mitch" "shit it's late, Mitch, we should really start getting home." "Damn it's late I didn't keep track of the time." We got home as fast as we could so we wouldn't get in trouble with our parents. Fortunately, we didn't get in trouble. Even though we both got home and just saw each other, we were texting each other already. The both of us went to sleep soon after that.