Chapter Fifteen: Darkness

A/N: Hey guys, this whole chapter is a flashback to the real time when it was happening, just clarifying so no one gets confused. This chapter is pretty long and intense, so be prepared. Also, don't be a silent reader, vomment!

_____________________________________

I smiled as the cameras flashed like brilliant stars, or blowing light bulbs. Harper Doulair slung an easy arm around my shoulders, and I grinned at her. She's the most scandalous one of us from Lightning Modelling Agency, and I wondered what she was gonna do this time. 

It was some preview for a movie that I would never have time to watch, but I'd been invited anyway. 

"What's the next campaign you'll be working on, Lorelei?" a reporter yelled out, and some of them made agreeing noises while everyone held out recorders. 

I shrugged cheekily. "You'll have to wait for an official statement, guys." With that, I strolled off the photo stand, moving along the line. To be honest, it wasn't like I knew. My agency only gave me the info right before I needed to know so that I had time to prepare, but no time to boast about it.  I saw my mom and dad engaged with one of the film directors, and they constantly looked for me, so I figured maybe my next venture would be acting. 

I would totally look forward to that. One of my modelling coaches had said that my expressions were always splendidly done, and mostly natural, so I had a career in acting if it was what I wanted to pursue. I'd already released two studio albums, and they'd both gone double platinum in no time. The second one, My word is Lore, had topped multiple charts and broke records. 

I heard squeals and saw that Harper had taken off her thousand dollar Valentino gown and dived into the pool. Cameras flashed. Of course they'd been happy to get that. Tabloids. I rolled my eyes. I mingled, talking to all the celebrities, and they were always thrilled to meet me. 

"Can I trouble you to sign these for me?" Angelina Jolie asked. She held out a few pretty cards. "My daughters and sons are your biggest fans!"

"Really?" I smiled brilliantly, as if this was news. "That's so awesome, here." I signed with flourish. Everyone knew how her adopted kids bragged about meeting me and who could pose like me or sing my songs better than each other. "Give them my regards!"

So many people sought after me, taking pictures after pictures, and finally we were all bundled into the theatre. The emcee was great, upbeat and fun. Suddenly wetness dripped on my left arm, and before I could shriek, Harper dropped into her seat. She'd dried off, mostly, except for her dripping hair. 

I scowled at her, and she smirked. "Live a little, will ya?"

I tried to concentrate on the movie, but it was hard when I saw Harper take out a plastic wrapper and sniffed something white. 

"What are you doing?" I hissed under my breath. Was she doing drugs? At a movie premier

Harper grinned at me and rolled her eyes, as if calling me an old lady. I was nervous. I shifted a little bit to the other side. Harper was relatively new to the scene. She was someone the agency had scouted off the street, and had been famous only two years now, and I don't think she really understood the gravity of her actions.

"Do it outside," I hissed. She shrugged, ignoring me. Fine. I moved up and excused myself. I'd seen plenty of celebrities go down because of drugs and I sure wasn't going to be in cohorts with her if she was going to do it. This life was all I've ever known. I stepped outside into the fresh air, and cameras flashed right away.