Chapter One: Jolene

Hey guys, it's lavender here. Hope you enjoyed my short stories. This story will be really cool, so i hope you guys like it ^^ I chose Lucy Hale to be Lorelei because she's seriously beautiful :) 

I was serious this time. After leaving the rehabilitation centre for mental illness, I was no longer suicidal. That didn’t mean that the past events haven’t scarred me for life. They have, but now I was no longer a naïve pretty faced model who was popular for looks.

Now, I’m a battle-hardened warrior who knows what the enemy is and has the perfect shields for it.

When I’d lost it after my meltdown, I was too close to skinning my entire face off and ripping my hair out. My parents had come just in time to stop the act of craziness. Looking back now, I was sincerely glad they did, but I no longer depended on my face.

I gave myself a once-over in the large bathroom mirror. Today was the day that I started in a new school since I could not go to my previous one. I liked how I looked now.

I was a beautiful girl. I’d known that since forever. My skin was flawless and had a light, healthy glow. My black hair shone glossily down the length of my back. My big, dark eyes were framed by thick, dark lashes and my pretty little lips were always red. My mom had even nicknamed me ‘Snow White’ in my younger days.

Now, as I looked in the mirror, I was proud of my handiwork. I looked so common that I could have cried in relief. My hair was messed up in an ugly bun on my head so that the glossiness was hidden. I’d bought a large pair of cloudy glasses that hid my mesmerising eyes. I’d even gone through the trouble of putting some concealer on my lips to hide the rose colour. Everything I wore was so pathetic that my previous employer (I used to be a model) would have had brain damage.

No one would like me in this look. I would be safe. I found solace in this thought and picked up my school bag. My purposely banged up school bag was pitiful but effective. I wondered if I should make myself smell bad to keep people further away. I realised this thought was bordering on insanity and I changed the course of my thoughts, not really wanting to go back to the loony bin so fast after I’d just got out.

“Hurry or you’ll be late to school!” my aunt’s forced cheery voice floated up the stairs. My poor mother who always prided herself on my looks was now forced to put up with the fact that her incredibly beautiful daughter was drawn to craziness because of it, so she sent me away to my aunt’s house in another country. I tried to ignored the hurt that the thought brought me.

“Okay.” I said; my voice flat. Apparently I used to have a beautiful voice as well, but ever since I left the asylum, whatever I felt never came out in my voice. Inflectionless; my mother had screamed at me. I was sad that she couldn’t accept my condition, so much so that she would rather send me away than bear with me. A heavy pain stabbed my chest and I gasped. I took deep breaths to quell the unwanted emotion.

“Do you want to have breakfast first?” she asked kindly, looking at me standing at the kitchen doorway. I smiled at her to calm her down, relieved that I could at least still smile.

“That’s okay. I’m too nervous to eat anyway.” My emotionless voice destroyed our light mood and my aunt’s face was back to being strained. Hurt pressing on my chest, I turned and left for the front door, out the gate and into the car. My aunt’s driver, Jameson, looked at me with concerned eyes in the rear-view mirror.

“Just drive.”

He instantly obeyed and I closed my eyes, not thinking of anything at all. Nothing at all.