New Face, Familiar Name

I had managed to lose the herd but it was moving in an eastward fashion.

I did need to get to Richmond.

I got back to the house and saw that they were gone, I presumed that it would be like that.

Gathering my bearings, I eventually found my way to the supply road.

Several hours passed, the road was long as I came across the road.

I set up a clothes line that I had found and stretched it out between a pair of trees that were opposite each other. I took out the assault rifle and looked through the scope, there was a small convoy.

Comprising of a jeep and a trio of motorbikes.

They were tangling with a pack of wolves, zombie ones.

That was good, at least they won't be able to notice the clothes line then.

I readied my assault rifle as the first motorbike came into perfect view.

I waited until it went by and the rider got clipped off, the next came and then the jeep which went off the road a bit.

I drew second guessed using the assault rifle and pulled out my hidden blade.

I went to the first biker and pinned him down, next second I put the knife into his chest.

I waited until he stopped moving before pulling the blade from his chest...

My mistake...

I turned around to get a face full of wood, a baseball bat collided with my face.

"You fuckin little shit. I'm gonna make you bleed."

I turned my head in a dazed state, the man had dropped the bat and pulled out a machete and thrusted it towards my chest.

I managed to grab his arms and hold him. I couldn't shift either mine or his weight.

Shit, shit, shit...

Death seemed close as the tip of the machete dug into my chest.

Next thing I knew some man jumped from the bushes and kicked him in the face.

Quite skillfully.

Taking out a pistol, he shot the man in the shoulder and leg.

Damn, that was actually really cool.

As he shielded me from the man, I got up.

Without saying a thing I walked over to the disabled bandit, ending his life.

"Thanks, I thought I was done. Wait, I don't have a record of you in my notebook. Who are you and why are you here?"

"Hey, are you alright? Here I think I have a first aid kit in my bag."

The man takes out a first aid kit with basic supplies and handed it to me.

"Your notebook? Why do you ask? I'm just looking around for a place to stay, I've heard the gunshots and I thought I needed to check it out and that's when I found you and that guy. Who are they and why were they attacking you? I couldn't just walk away and let him kill you"

The man said with a confused look plastered across his face.

"First off, I'm fine thanks for asking. Second, I'm a ranger and a mercenary and a bounty hunter, it's kind of my job to keep tabs on who is in the region. Finally, they were the New Frontier. A group of once quite decent survivors who now raid and pillage other settlements taking their supplies for themselves. Basically banditry and my job kind of lets me kill people like that. I ambushed them because they are murderers and I need a few supplies to get to Richmond since you helped. Take whatever you need. Just leave something's for me."

I began to walk over to one of the motorcycles and start checking it out.

"Ohh I see, then you are a decent person, it's rare at times like these. Well, you can write it down in your notebook, my name is Kenny and I'm just a survivor like everyone else, trying to survive. I was just in the woods trying to find a hideout that is cut off from those freaks and well other people. Been searching for a while you know. Nah it's alright you keep everything, after all, you were the one killing all of them and I don't need anything at the moment. I'm just doing my part to make this place a better world. If that even is possible"

The man said with a smile. I pulled out my notebook and began to write in it.

"Ok Kenny, short and thin, right that's it. Thank you, I hope we don't meet on bad terms in the future. So why you out here? I may not have caught that."

"Well, I was just looking for a place to stay."

"Oh well, I'm headed to Richmond to help some friends who might be in trouble. The New Frontier currently occupies it and they might be in trouble. You can grab a motorbike, they aren't broken. My thanks for the save and if there isn't anything else then I have to, unfortunately, be on my way."

"Ohh I see, sorry to hear that. You need any assistance?"

"Erm well, I could possibly use some help but I can't exactly tell you to risk your life for a stranger."

I began rigging up one of the motorbikes as we spoke.

"Well, I'm sorry about your friends. I had a group before, I lost everyone to some assholes. They attacked us since then I've been travelling alone. Well, you will die anyway at some point, may as well be for a good cause. I usually stay out of trouble but if I don't help the ones in need you aren't better than the freaks roaming the road."

Kenny said.

"I'm sorry about your loss. But sir, this started when I was eight. I've been on my own for a long time, shifting quietly into and out of groups to protect someone specifically dear to me. Eight years and I'm ok. It is a good cause because my friends are trying to overthrow some block head called Joan who seems to be causing the whole bandit thing. And the world is changed, you can do whatever the hell you want. It's only the small group of people who actually mean well if you want to come then it's your own free will and I appreciate it."

I mounted the bike and looked at him, relaxing my posture.

"I hope you're decent cause I knew someone called Kenny and he was a decent guy. I just hope you're decent as well."

"Well like I said there are not many good people left in this world and if your friends are in danger I will not just stand back and let them be killed and especially not by some assholes. I couldn't save my own people but I will at least try to help yours"

Kenny said, while putting his backpack on the back and threw his leg over the bike and sat behind me.

"Let's go and help you, friends."

"Erm dude, there is another bike you can use. We could use the extra supplies attached to the side of it."

"Ohh I'm sorry, I will take that instead then".

Kenny jumped off the bike and started up the other one and mounted it.

"Lead the way!"

Kenny said.

As we rode, I turned to him and said,

"Well, Kenny. Since you've told me your name then it's only fair you know mine. I'm Watcher."

"Watcher? That's creative."

Kenny yelled back.

"You need to be in this life."

A/N- Special thanks to Haventrooper57 for helping me with this. Enjoy and stay frosty my dudes.