CH.19

RILEY’S P.O.V

Jessie was obviously freaking out. The guy named Zephyr watched coldly as Jessie tried to process what he had just heard.

“How can you be a vampire” Jessie said. “I…It’s not possible there’s no way for a human to become a vampire the blood is poison to us and we are born vampires there is no way to be one of us unless you were born that way.”

“Actually there is a way to make a human a vampire” my mom said. “But only the Royal family knew it and we never told a soul so how could someone change this man?” she looked to Zephyr. “You are a vampire now so you should know that I am your queen.  I demand to know who turned you and how.”

“Right after I sold Jessie I was depressed because I missed him so badly.” Zephyr said.

“Missed me!” Jessie sounded outraged. “How dare you! You wouldn’t miss me! You played me! You made me think you might actually care and then you sold me! Do you have any idea what that did to me! You wouldn’t know depression if it smacked you in the face you lying no good…” he was going to continue but I stopped him. I dragged him toward the back of the car.

“Jessie stop.” I said. “Calm down and tell me what’s going on here”

“I’ll tell you but this stays between us” Jessie said. “I don’t want anyone else to know ok.”

KARINA’S P.O.V

Riley dragged Jessie to the back of the car while Arabella and I watched surprised at Jessie’s outburst.

“You can explain that to us as well while you’re answering my question” Arabella said. 

“Like I was saying” Zephyr said. His voice quieter and he sounded as though he might be fighting tears. “After I sold Jessie I became depressed because I missed him so badly. I had been forced by my cousin Zeke to send Jessie to the auction house because he had overheard me admitting to Jessie that I was gay and was going to kill Jessie and maybe even me. The only way to save Jessie was to tell Zeke that I had been saying it to break Jessie and send him to the auction house to prove I wasn’t lying. The slave I got after Jessie was sold noticed my depression and was brave enough to ask me about it and when I told her she offered me a way that I could be free of my family and be with Jessie. She said she could make me a vampire and she only asked that I not tell anyone how I was changed or who changed me.”

“Convenient” I scoffed.

“If it’s the only way you’ll believe me I’ll tell you” Zephyr said.

“Then start talking” Arabella said. 

“Her name was Josephine and she told me that the only way to turn a human into a vampire was to have the human consume the blood of a born vampire.” Zephyr said. “I was against it at first but I finally told her that I would do it if she could find a way to make it so that I wouldn’t know it was blood I was consuming so she mixed it into my drink one day when I wasn’t looking.” He looked up at Arabella. “The next thing I knew I was a vampire so I went into hiding until I could figure out what had happened to Jessie. I made some calls and found out who had bought him and when I heard he had been sold I tracked down the new owner and followed her to the castle when she took him there. I feared what might happen to him if he was sold to the royal family but I heard you all talking and decided to wait a few days and sneak him out while you weren’t paying attention but when I came back to check on him the next day you were leaving so I followed you. I figured I would rescue him when you got to the mountains but instead I got myself caught like a fool.”

“How did you hear us talking” Arabella asked suspicious. “The abilities of vampires are weakened by the mere presence of humans hearing included.”

“When a human is turned we are immune to the weakening effects of human blood” Zephyr said. “We used to possess it so it isn’t as potent to us. Consuming it still kills us but it doesn’t weaken us to be near it. So we keep the usual abilities of speed, strength, hearing etc. even around humans.”