CH 45

JOSEPHINE’S P.O.V

I waited outside the castle gates while the humans enjoyed their little party. Once I got Zephyr back under control it would be easier to accomplish what I came here to do. There was a reason I set my daughter up to be the human queen and I assure you it wasn’t for her sake. As queen she had resources I did not. I used her to track down my sister and keep an eye on her. If Arabella managed to escape slavery she would most likely kill me for not trying to free our kind since I was not captured. I couldn’t exactly have that and I rather enjoyed the power I had as acting queen. Even if my kingdom included only a meager 20 vampires who had the sense to hide out in the mountains when the humans started rounding us up.

RILEY’S P.O.V

I noticed the queen slip out of the ball room about an hour before the party ended but I didn’t follow her. I knew if I had tried she would have me killed or worse, sold. I decided to ignore her. Karina was smiling widely as Jessie and I walked over to her and Kai at the end of the party.

“Did you two know about this” Karina asked as we walked up.

“I did but Jessie was clueless” I said. “I busted Kai buying the ring”

“Speaking of Jessie” Karina said. “I heard you found out about Zephyr how did you take that bit of news?” She asked Jessie turning to him.

“I was terrified that he would come after me when I heard he hadn’t been seen” Jessie said. “But now that I know your mother has him I’m not worried” Just then Karina’s little sister walked over to us.

“Kari why did you go on stage?” Lily asked Karina. “Only mommy and daddy do that at Christmas parties”

“Kai gave me a very important question and he wanted everyone to hear my answer” Karina told her. “Actually you haven’t met Kai yet have you”

“No” Lily said looking puzzled. “Is that the boy who was with you?”

“Yes” Kai said kneeling to talk to the child. “Nice to meet you” he said putting his hand out for her to shake. I laughed at that and Jessie and Kai both looked at me. “What’s so funny?” Kai asked. Before I could answer Lily had tackled Kai with a hug. She let go giggling at him as he righted himself.

“That’s what is funny” Karina said. “Actually Lily I think Riley wants to introduce you to someone too”

“Who” Lily said looking at me.

“Lily this is Jessie” I said pulling him forward so she could see who I meant. “He’s a little shy so he’s gonna need a big hug” Jessie glared at me as the little girl jumped into his arms and hugged him tightly. 

“Why don’t we take this little meet and greet upstairs” Karina said as the guests left. We followed her upstairs with Jessie still carrying Lily who refused to let him go.
“Lily there’s something I gotta tell you about Jessie” I said taking her from him and putting her down.

“I know him” She said surprising me. “He’s the boy that the bad man made cry. I’m glad you aren’t crying anymore” She said to Jessie.

“Thanks” Jessie said shifting awkwardly.

“Lily” I said getting her attention again. “Jessie is my boyfriend and Kai is my big brother”

“REALLY!” she cried bouncing up and down excitedly.

“And Kai and I are getting married so he and Riley are going to be your brothers” Karina added. Lily’s eyes nearly bugged out of her head she was so excited by the news.

“Riley if you’re gonna be my brother you should come play with me” she said. “Jessie too”

“What are we playing” I asked her.

“Hide and seek” she answered. “You and me hide first”

“Deal” I said. “Let’s go” I took Jessie’s hand as we went out into the hallway.

“Jessie you wait here and count to one hundred while me and Riley hide” Lily said. “No cheating” Jessie chuckled and did as told. Lily led me down the hallway and through several of the empty rooms in the castle. She stopped in front of a closet and looked up at me. “You hide in here” she said shoving me in and closing the door. “I’ll push this desk in front of it and lock the wheels so Jessie can’t see the door” I tried to open the door but it was too late she must have been talking while moving the desk. The door wouldn’t budge and I felt myself starting to panic.