Entry 15: Glass half empty edition

Day 101:

Morning

Woke up to Joan cooking a deliciously roasted deer leg jerky. That's what I call good eating. The Raiderpedes didn't see anything last night and nobody died. Did a radio check and nobody in our vicinity heard the weird laugh. Maybe these stalkers are gone or asleep?

Found the prisoner. Something tore him to pieces. Bite marks like the trader. It's here. Out here somewhere. This thing, whatever it is, making my skin crawl.

I ordered the raiderpedes to match formation, covering our sides with us in the middle, as we walk towards the cliffs. It might be hiding in one of the caves.

Night:

Sure as shit, it found us. I've never seen anything so damn ugly before in my life.

I was able to extract this image from the wrecked Raiderpedes

I was able to extract this image from the wrecked Raiderpedes. This damn monstrosity tore through plasteel armor, tanked several inferno cannon shots, and kept going even after 12 of its tentacles were shot off.

It has cloaking ability/magic whatever, but the raiderpedes were able to detect it. They fired, like tracer bullets and we were able to hit it. When it got close it became visible. Why? What's the point? Even with the raiderpedes covering us, we barely hit it. I bet it decloaked because it wanted to scare us.

I put the battle videos on the screen to show everyone in the colony. One of the ladies who joined us recently said the thing's called a Star Vampire. This planet didn't have any Old Ones (WTF!!!) until recently, she says. She says that it must be a sign that a cult is operating nearby. One of the assblasters, Rick Grimes? he says it looks like the FSM. The noodly one has fallen to the Dark side, he joked. My pants certainly fell to the brown side, let me tell it.

I ordered the Sake and Whisky crates open, because, by the STARS, we beat an old one today! We celebrated this victory. But deep down inside, I'm afraid. There's more of things like this out there. And the way it hunts...the laughter. The way it tore apart our Raiderpedes, all my hard work is nothing.

It's like I've built a wall of wood to hold back a tidal wave. And there's nowhere to run.

Day 103

More people have arrived, leftover survivors from the ship crash. That puts us at 90 colonists. It's hard to stretch out food supplies but the snows are thick here. However, about 20 clicks away, the snow is less thick and our foot crews aren't moving as slow.

The engineers want to lead a mission to set up radio beacons so I can communicate directly with the crew even over long distances. I told them why can't we bounce signals off the satellites and moons in orbit? They argued with each other for like 30 minutes with all sorts of techno words and shit. So I left and fed the dogs or wolves. Wolfdogs? Oh, they're wargs. When I came back, they said that it was always possible but they never considered it before. I'm pretty pissed about it. Think of the battles we could've won if I had direct command over the squads! And all they had to do was go into the forborting menu on the watches and select the satellite in orbit to relay our signals! I was so angry I told them another screw up like this and they'll be kibble!

Well, I'm happy now that this is solved! I'm eager to test it out!

The Asari colony is a bit much to handle. We'll need a cunning strategy before we go after those blue forborts.

Craterton is going to need Raiderpedes, so I'll deal with Robot Ryan in the summer. Can I fit them in the drop pods? The drop pods may be too small. Wonder if I can build a bigger one?

I've ignored ChickenWarriors since I started sending raiders. Well, they're a good target for my newfound ability. They're a ways away, so I'm sending a team of 20 guys there in two days, once we get enough food for the trip, and the snow will be fully melted while they're on the road.

Watch out, Rimworld. Boss Panther is lunging for your throat!