Chapter I

Chapter I

I woke up to a scream. I ran, terrified down the stairs to see my mom with tears running down her face, muttering to herself.

"God...why now, of all times...we can't win this..."

I opened my mouth and spoke. "...Mom?"

She quickly turned around to face me, and held me tight for a few seconds, before pulling back and putting her hands on my shoulders. She was gripping me hard enough to cause bruising.

"Listen to me, Lily. You have to run. Run as fast as you can. Don't stop until you feel safe. Do you understand?" My mom was trembling so hard that she was shaking me.

"Yes, mom." I told her. I didn't understand what was going on, but I knew I shouldn't ask. Suddenly, I heard a scream come from outside. I gasped and turned my head to the left to see, but my mom quickly grabbed my face and held it between her hands. 

Her next few words were quick and she shouted them to me. "Lily. They are searching for you. Run!" 

I hesitated and she gave me a not-so-gentle shove. With that, I sprinted out the door. I had no idea what was happening, but I knew better than to disagree with her. Once I got outside, I saw wolves tearing each other apart. Most were all dirty and their hair was pointing in all directions. I recognized them instantly as rogues, and the cleaner ones as my pack. I gasped, and saw a small wolf turn his head to look at me after ripping the throat out of one of my pack members. 

He began to run towards me, and I quickly turned around and ran as fast as I could through the forest, not looking back.