Chapter XXV

Chapter XXV

Belinda gave Caden a harsh look. "Caden, don't be unreasonable. This would be suicide. Just consider-"

Caden cut her off. "There is nothing to consider, I just want my mate back."

I felt my eyes prickle with tears. He's talking about me like I'm not even here. Our mate bond was gone sure, but I wasn't. 

Belinda narrowed her eyes at Caden before pulling out a notebook and a pencil. She furiously began to scribble, her tongue sticking out of the corner of her mouth due to her concentration. She stopped after a few minutes, gave it a once-over, and put it on the table. She tilted it so Caden and I could see. 

She had drawn a hastily-done map of a mountainous area, what I assume to be where the Ruby is located. 

"The only way-and I mean the only way-that you would stand the slightest chance is if you came through the river here." She gestured to a point on the map. "This would help disguise your scent and this area has no guards. The tribe up there got too cocky, so their guards are limited. The skills of those guards, however..." She shook her head. "You do not want to see them."

"You'll have to follow the river down to here, and then cross through these woods. Then, you'll be right behind the cave where they keep the Ruby. This is where you're going to die."

Caden rolled his eyes. "Thanks for the optimism, Belinda."

She put her hands up. "I'm just being honest. While the rest of your pack kills themselves, you and Lily will have to sneak by and enter the cave."

"That doesn't sound too bad," Caden said, shrugging. I felt my jaw drop. Not too bad? This is just asking for them to kill us!

"Caden, what are you doing?" I felt my voice rise, and all my built up anger was coming out. "You can't kill of your pack just for a mate bond! I'm still here, you don't need to do this!"

Something flashed in Caden's eyes, but it was gone just as quickly. "I've been waiting all my life for my mate. I am not losing her now." He met my eyes with a harsh look. "I don't care what everyone says, I know the truth: you're not Lily."