“A coward’s way out,” He shook his head. “You have nothing to worry about. We’ll announce it at the premiere. With the extra publicity around the whole thing, it’s sure to be successful and you won’t be complaining when the number in your bank account triples.”

            I scowled at the idea of more money I wouldn’t be able to touch until I was twenty-one.

            “So in January then?”

            “Would you rather it be sooner?”

            “No,” I shot back quickly.

            “Then it’s settled. On the fifth everyone will know who M. K. Lewis really is.”

             I tensed at the thought. It was so close. I would only be halfway through my year at Kingston. What would it do to my educational life?

             “Now, about this new novel…”

             A few hours later I burst into the coffee shop, blazer tied tightly around my waist as I collapsed into my regular seat. I clutched my head in my hands, mind reeling over what had just happened.

             “Job interview?”

             “Pardon me?” I glanced his way, tearing my eyes from the table. For once Zayn was not hiding behind his glasses and I could see that his eyes were a dark brown, darker than mine.

             “Is that why you’re dressed that way?”

             “Oh.” I hesitated. “Yes. It didn’t go very well though, I’m afraid.”

              My lips twisted bitterly at the memory of Jude’s condescending tone. Three months, not even fully, and then my world would be momentarily turned upside down.

              “Didn’t get it?”

              “Oh, no, I got it,” I replied. “I just don’t like the manager very much.”

              He nodded, almost as if he were in agreement. “I hope things get better for you.”

              “Thanks.”

               I was puzzled by his sudden amicability but I did not mention it. It was somewhat enjoyable to final be having a conversation after sitting in stifling silence for so long. At least it would take my mind off of the news I would have to share eventually.

               “Why don’t you join me?”

               “What?” I winced at the incredulity in my tone.

               “I just mean there’s hardly anyone else ever in here, and we’re being a little ridiculous about sitting apart.”

               When I didn’t reply, he continued to explain himself.

“We should get to know each other; we already spend most of the night in each other’s company anyway.”

               “That sounds nice.” I smiled. Picking up my purse I made my way over and took the seat across from him. “But be honest, the real reason you invited me over is because I looked like someone killed my puppy.”

              “That could partly be the reason,” Zayn admitted with a slight chuckle. He looked nice smiling.

              “Well I’m Michelle Lewis, and we both know that I know who you are.”

              “It’s nice to finally speak to you, Michelle.”

               “I should have had a really bad day a lot sooner then,” I commented airily. “If that is all it takes to make you take pity on a poor girl.”

               I noticed that once again he had a stack of papers beside him.

               “Are you sure that you are not secretly aspiring to be an author? It would make sense of the whole brooding attitude.”

               He glanced down at the papers and bit his lip.

               “I’m not certain I should tell you.”

               “I understand.” I shrugged. “But I have to tell you, I’m pretty good at keeping a secret.”

               The double meaning in my statement caused me to smile. If only he knew how well I could really keep them.

               “You swear you won’t tell anyone?”

               “No one to tell,” I told him honestly. “I’m not exactly a budding socialite here. I’m a foreigner with no friends.”

                Zayn frowned, and I knew he was going to comment so I beat him to it.

                “It’s not as bad as it sounds,” I assured him. “I met you, after all. That’s got to count for something, right?”

                 “It’s a new album.”

                  I couldn’t say I was surprised, that would have been my second guess.

                 “What one is it? Your third or fourth by now?”

                 “Fourth,” He answered. “It should be the fifth, but we took a year off just to tour. We wanted to slow our pace down a bit after all the insanity.”

                 “What? You had enough of the screaming girls?” I laughed.

                 “Our fans are amazing,” He shrugged. “But we just really needed some time to transition.”

                 “I don’t know how you do it.” I shook my head. “I would hate it.”

                 He was surprised. “You’re the first person I’ve heard say that.”

                 “I don’t like being the centre of attention,” I said. “I prefer sticking to the corners and watching.”

                 “Creepy,” He joked. I smiled wryly in response, playing with my fingers a little.

                 “Oh!” Zayn exclaimed suddenly. “You don’t even have anything to drink. What would you like?”

                 “I’m fine,” I waved his attempts off. “I’m leaving in a minute anyway. I was just really upset and I needed to come here for a minute.”

                  He was uncertain, but he didn’t ask again and I appreciated it. I hated when people forced things on me because eventually I would comply. I had a hard time saying no.

                  “Why are you here so often?” I asked after a few moments of silence. “Do you really have that much time off?”

                  “We mainly work during the day,” Zayn explained. “We go into the late evenings sometimes, but we’re just wrapping up now, so until they’re finished with it, we’re free to do as we please.”

                  “Unless it incriminates you.”

                  “Yes,” He agreed with a nod. I checked the wristwatch I was wearing and sighed.

                  “I’d better go now,” I said, getting up. “I’ve got tests to study for and other things that will be just as much fun.”

                  “Should we do this again?” He asked. “Sit together, I mean. Now that I know you won’t scream if I speak to you, I don’t mind having someone to talk to.”

                  “Definitely.”