Chapter 19.

Chapter 19.

Ring Ring Ring.
Reese creeped her eyes open slowly, the sunlight spilling into the darkly shaded bedroom. She squirmed in bed, King's grip around her waist tightening as he lay fast asleep beside her. She glanced over at the clock. 11:01 a.m. They were sleeping in this morning which was very well deserved so she didn't mind. Reese smiled as she sleepily rubbed her eyes, squirming in her man's embrace before reaching for her cellphone which was still ringing. She glanced at the caller id in complete surprise to see Pumpkins name on the caller id. She sat up, not sure how to feel about this woman calling her right now. The phone continued to ring in the palm of her hand as Reese hesitated before answering. The last time they met, things definitely didn't go well and there was no telling what else Pumpkin had up her sleeve now.
''Hello?'' Reese placed the phone to her ear being careful not to wake King.
"What's up Reese?" Pumpkin greeted her in a casual tone as if nothing had ever happened. She looked around the room, confused on what the hell was going on. ''Ummm. What's up???'' She asked.
Pumpkin took a deep breath on the other end before responding. "Look, I thought about it, and maybe I was wrong firing you. I need you back. I really need you for this job I'm trying to seal tonight.''
Reese sat with the phone cradled to her ear. She was confused and didn't know if this was an apology or a setup. There really was no telling with Pumpkin. This chick was like night and day. Reese looked over at King hoping she hadn't waked him. She was wrong. He lay beside her, his eyes open as he stared at her while she talked on the phone. He could hear the voice on the other end /and he knew it was Pumpkin.
''Ummm.'' Reese finally responded. "What about all that shit you was talking at the restaurant Pumpkin? What was all that about??" She felt King nudge her to get her attention. She looked over at him watching as he shook his head disapproving of her approach. She bit her lip. As long as her man was sitting next to her she was going to have to pipe it down. For now.
"Look I got a lot going on right now." Pumpkin continued. ''I really don't want to explain it. All I'm focused on right now is money. I need more of it and I know you do to."
Reese looked over at King, seeking approval but he gave no guidance as he remained quiet. Pumpkin would flip if she heard his voice in the background. Reese didn't know how to respond. King told her the other night he didn't want her hustling anymore. She was planning on starting a new life, opening up this hair salon and finally turning into that stay at home woman King always wanted. Reese was ready to retire from her very short lived career.
"I don't know about that Pumpkin. I'm just waking up. Let me think about it and call you back later.'' She attempted to get her off the phone.
''How bout you meet me later tonight around 7 and we can talk in person?" Pumpkin persisted. Reese looked over at King again as a bad feeling surrounded the pit of her stomach. She was tired of putting her life in danger. she didn't want to do it any longer. King nodded his head, urging her to accept the meeting as he sat up in bed. Reese shook her head. It was either now or never. She had to end things with Pumpkin for good. Even if it meant meeting her face to face and letting her know what it is. She was done.
"Alright I will meet you." Reese accepted. "But just to talk. I'm not saying I'm accepting any of your offers."
Pumpkin grew silent for a moment before coming back to the line. "Alright. See ya." She casually said goodbye as she disconnected the line. Reese drew the phone back from her face still in shock. This girl was extremely bipolar and crazy and she was not looking forward to meeting up with her once again. She looked over at King, anxious for his input.
"You have to go meet with her baby." He spoke casually as if it weren't a big deal.
She rolled her eyes. She was annoyed by the situation but there was no escaping it. "And what's that going to solve?'' She asked.
''Alot.'' He turned towards her, placing his hand on her knee as he lightly massaged her. "You got to tell her you done with the game. You're out. But I also want you to make peace with her. I need you to understand, I love Pumpkin and I never want to lose her." He gave her a serious look. He really did have a deep spot in his heart for Pumpkin, she could see that now. No wonder that woman was so attached to him and could not let go.
''And what about you and me?'' She asked as she looked over at him. "Is she ever going to know or are we going to always sneak around."
He reached for her hand, grabbing it tightly as it rested on top of the covers. ''Obviously we can't hide forever. In due time, everything will come into place and work itself out. But for right now, I really want you to make amends with Pumpkin. Ya'll may be around each other for a very long time and I want ya'll to get along."
She took a deep breath. King was her weak spot. He had her under his spell and she would do damn near anything he asked her to do at this point. She swallowed the large lump in her throat, hoping this meeting with Pumpkin doesn't go anything like the last one. And hopefully this meeting will be their last. "Whatever." She brushed it off, hoping it was the end of the conversation.
"I'm serious Reese." he continued. "You and Pumpkin got a lot more in common than you think. Both of you grew up in Baltimore on the streets. Neither one of you had a good relationship with your parents. I think you should try opening up to her on a personal level." Reese smacked her lips. King really had no idea. It wasn't her decision to be at odds with Pumpkin. From day one she stuck her neck out to prove to this chick she had what it takes to be a successful hustler. In the end, she got kicked to the curb. "Alright babe." she leaned over interrupting him in mid-sentence. She was tired of talking about Pumpkin. No matter what she always came up as the topic of discussion. Right now, Reese wanted to indulge in this moment and enjoy relaxing in bed with the man of her dreams. She pressed her lips to his, kissing him sensually as she placed her hands on the back of his neck. ''Mmmmm..." she moaned into his ear. ''I understand exactly why she is in love with you, King." she whispered as she held him tight. She never wanted to let go. He pulled away to look at her in the eyes. The room grew silent. Reese knew her words were deep. She couldn't deny it. She never felt something so right. This was destiny and it was fate that brought them together. He leaned in and kissed her. Each time his lips touched her she felt as if she were falling into his embrace. He laid her back on the bed and made love to her over and over again.