Chapter 16.

Chapter 16.

"Would you like a refill on your water Ms. Patricia?"

"No, I'm good. Thank you." Pumpkin politely smiled at the waitress who stood over her table holding a water pitcher. The waitress smiled back at her, stepping back from the dinner table allowing Pumpkin to continue looking over the menu. "No problem mam. Flag me down whenever you're ready to order." Pumpkin nodded her head and smiled, watching as the young girl walked away towards the entrance of the restaurant. She sat on the outside patio deck at a table looking out over the Middle Branch Patapsco River. It was a nice day out but she wasn't here for the food or for the view. She glanced at her watch. 5 until 2 pm. She knew Reese would be walking in that door any moment. Her timing may have gotten better, but that was the last thing on Pumpkins mind right now. She fidgeted with her fingernails, wondering what the outcome of this meeting would be. She asked for Reese to meet her here to discuss business, but there were other subjects she needed to touch up on as well, and she wasn't leaving here until she got answers. Today is the day. Today is the day I'm going to find out. She was uneasy but ignored the feeling.

As if right on que, her eyes fell upon Reese who stood in the doorway of the restaurant. She looked to her left, then her right searching for Pumpkins table. She watched her from a distance. Reese hadn't worn her hair down since the day Pumpkin met her, but today her long natural wavy hair spilt over her shoulders. She wore a cream tank top and blue denim jeans with a sweater thrown over her shoulders. Something about Reese looked different.

Pumpkin raised her hand flagging her down. They made eye contact as she finally located their table. Reese sashayed across the deck towards Pumpkin.

"Hello" she spoke briefly as she approached. Pumpkin did not respond verbally. Instead she nodded her head. Reese grabbed the chair, pulling it from underneath the table while sitting down. She nervously cleared her throat as she scooted her in chair closer. Pumpkin slightly sat back, crossing her arms across her chest as they both sat at the table in silence for a few moments.

"Soooo." Reese asked. "What's up?"

Pumpkin sucked her teeth, toying with her fingernails. It had been a long time coming and she was ready to get this over with. "Okay Reese. I'm going to get straight to the point. I don't want to waste anymore of my time the same way I do not want to waste yours. I called you here today because I don't think this is working out between you and I." she blurted it out. Silence spread across the table. Reese smacked her lips. She didn't respond immediately. She was taken aback. Pumpkin continued. "I have enough money for you to get out of town if that's what you want. I will pay for everything. Let's consider this a trial period."

Reese clenched her jaw. She sat forward. "I don't understand Pumpkin. I have done everything that you have asked of me. What is it that's not working out?"

Pumpkin lifted her water glass to her lips taking a sip. She refused to give a reaction. She decided prior to showing up to this meeting that she was going to keep her cool. After placing the glass back down on the table, she crossed her hands neatly in front of her. Reese stared her down waiting for an answer. Pumpkin smirked. She didn't owe Reese an explanation. She was in the position to hire and fire whomever she pleased. She had her own personal reasons that she did not have to explain. "I just don't think you're a fit for the job. Honey, I'm doing you a favor, okay?"

Reese shook her head. She was upset. "That's bullshit Pumpkin!" she snapped across the table. "I haven't done anything wrong."

Pumpkin looked over her shoulder, hoping this bitch wasn't trying to make a scene. She turned back to Reese. "Why are you tripping? I told you I would pay for you to get out of town. I have more than enough money for you to take and run. So what's the problem?"