Chapter 11.

Chapter 11

Where the hell is she at? I told her to be here at 5 o'clock. Who does she think she is leaving me here waiting on her?

Pumpkin anxiously tapped her foot as she waited outside the apartment building, constantly checking her watch waiting as the time ticked by. Pumpkin stood on the sidewalk, constantly looking to her left and right waiting to see the red infinity pull up the street. She took a deep breath. Patience was not her virtue and she couldn't stand waiting. She pulled out her phone to check and see if she had any missed calls. Swiping her finger across the screen, she located an unread text message and quickly opened it. REESE: Hey I'm up the street. Sorry so late. Got lost. Rolling her eyes, she threw her phone back into her purse. This girl was horrible with time. If she wasn't late, she was too early. Pumpkin rolled her eyes as she waited wondering whether or not she made the right decision hiring Reese. Secretly, she felt like an idiot for recruiting someone that was so inexperienced. The stunt she pulled yesterday with her roommate indicated that Reese was a bigger, not a chooser. She was only here to collect.

Looking up, she caught sight of the candy red infinity cruising down the street. Pumpkin took a moment to admire her old car as it moved closer. Why did I give her in the infinity? I should have brought her a new car. Pumpkin couldn't help but think to herself. Purchasing the Infinity was a huge accomplishment for her and she foolishly gave it away as if it didn't matter to her at all. She watched as Reese pulled up next her. Pumpkin cut her eyes, not hiding the fact that she was impatient and didn't like waiting. Normally, Pumpkin would never go out on a limb. Unless there was some sort of profit or if something was in it for her. Reese had one person to thank for her generosity. Giving her only 24 hours, King advised her to find an apartment for Reese, order furniture and decorate without going over $15,000. Reese is new to the game. She hasn't even proved herself yet. What makes him think she deserves this type of luxury?? Her mind began to wander, once again thinking the worst. She couldn't help it or deny the feeling in the pit of her stomach. Something wasn't right.

"You're late." Pumpkin hissed at her. Reese threw her hands up quickly, preparing to apologize. "I'm so sorry. I don't know my way around the area."

"Whatever." She waved her off, "Just park across the street."

Reese nodded her head, pulling off so she could parallel park directly across the building. Pumpkin stood by, watching as she backed the car in next to a parking meter. Her eyes narrowed as she glanced at the tires, which had been replaced with new rims. She also examined the body work which was neatly waxed and polished. This girl is nothing like me. Pumpkin thought inside of her head. When Pumpkin received her very first lump sum payment at 18 years old, she put a down payment on a house. Not on designer dressers, jewelry, and flashy rims.

Reese stepped out. She dressed casual in a pair of faded jeans and knee high boots. Again, her makeup was applied to perfection and her curls were neatly pressed. She trotted across the road to meet Pumpkin, closing up her leather jacket as the wind blew her hair behind her shoulders.

"I really didn't mean to keep you waiting." Reese apologized as she approached. Pumpkin rolled her eyes in response, turning her back. "Just follow me. I've wasted enough time here already." She began trotting up the steps. Reese slowly followed up the stairs behind her. "I'm not going to tell you again about your timing. " Pumpkin spoke over her shoulder. "You don't show up late to anyone else's job, I expect that same respect." Pumpkin scolded her. Reese didn't protest. "Okay." She responded lightly underneath her breath. Okay??? Pumpkin quickly became frustrated. Why doesn't this girl have a back bone?? Why doesn't she stick up for herself??? Pumpkin frequently tested her and pushed her buttons just to see if she would snap back. She never did.