Chapter 31 : Failed test

Chapter 31

A few days later...

Riker POV

I was walking down the hall to my locker when I noticed people staring at me. I walked to my locker, and found a picture drawn of me crying, and holding a blanket.

I felt tears burning in my eyes as I unlocked my locker. I swapped out the books I needed to take home, and then pretended to be looking at something to stall until Hailey came over to walk home with me.

I heard someone walk up behind me, and I thought it was Hailey. But it wasn't. And I jumped backwards, slamming into my locker.

"Where's your blanket!?" The guy asked.

I thought back to yesterday when I started crying in lunch because I wanted my blanket back. I guess someone heard me...

I cowered against my locker. I was trembling inside. It's already been a rough day because I had a panic attack in lunch. And now I'm scared.

I shrunk down to the floor, shaking.

"Hey. Leave him alone."

I looked up and saw Hailey. The guy left, and everyone stopped looking at me.

Hailey held her hand out to me, and she helped me stand up. My legs were still shaking.

"What's this?" I asked, showing her the picture on my locker.

"It's just some stupid drawing, Riker."

Hailey pulled it off, and crumpled it up. I felt like I wanted to cry.

"Come on. Let's go to your house."

We started walking home. I just kept telling myself not to cry...

I was actually really dreading going home. I failed a math test, and I needed to get it signed by a parent...

We got to my house, and went up to my bedroom. I laid down on my bed.

"Riker, it's going to be ok. Those guys are just insensitive jerks."

"I have to get my test signed too... I didn't mean to fail it!"

"I know. Calm down. It's just a test."

I sighed, and took some deep breaths. Rydel's been telling me I need to try to control my breathing and be aware of myself so I can try to handle my anxiety better.

"Come on. Let's work on tonight's homework."

Later...

Riker POV

I nervously walked downstairs after dinner. I was holding my test behind my back. 

Mom and dad were both in the kitchen, drinking coffee...

I nervously walked in. My heart was starting to pound, and I was almost positive they could both hear it.

"What's up, Riker?" Dad asked.

"I um... I n-need you to sign s-something..."

I walked closer, and put the test on the counter in front of dad.

"You got a 54?" Dad asked.

"I-I'm sorry..."

"Riker, you can't be failing things like this. You were absent for a bunch of days, and that means you need to be working extra hard to keep your grades up! We actually got a call from one of your teachers because she's afraid you're going to fail her class."