Chapter 22 : Do over date

Chapter 22

Riker POV

When we got home, I went to the couch. But mom made me come into the kitchen instead. She gave me a sandwich for lunch, and I sat down at the table to eat it. 

Halfway through my sandwich, dad came walking in. My grip on my sandwich tightened because I was scared. But he walked past me, over to mom.

"How was his appointment?"

"It was ok. We didn't get everything checked out, but Riker wasn't comfortable with a few things. The doctor confirmed that he has anxiety, depression, and PTSD."

"Really?"

"Yeah. And when she was checking for any injuries from his old house, she found out that Riker cuts. He does it on his legs, so that's how we didn't notice."

"What did his doctor suggest for him?"

"She suggested a therapist and medication. I know Riker really doesn't want a therapist. But I haven't talked to him about the medication yet."

"What would the medication do?"

"Help his depression, panic attacks, and help his sleep."

"If he doesn't want to go to a therapist, he needs the medication. He freaks out over nothing like every single day."

"Mark, it's not nothing to him."

I put down my sandwich. I don't feel like eating anymore.

"Well I think you should get him the medication."

I heard him leave, and I breathed a sigh of relief. Mom sat down at the table across from me.

"Riker, we need to talk about your doctor's appointment."

"I don't want the medication."

"Why?"

"Because I don't like pills! And I don't want to take a million of them every day."

Mom sighed.

"Riker, I really think it would be good for you to try the pills. We could get them, and you could try them. And if you really don't like them, maybe we could consider letting you not take them."

"I don't want it."

"I know, Riker. But you have anxiety and depression. And that's not ok. We need to fix that."

"What about that other one?"

"PTSD?"

"Yeah. What is that?"

"It stands for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. It just means your dad abused you, and now you're experiencing symptoms because of it."

"Oh..."

"I'm going to call your doctor later, and get your prescriptions, ok? And I want you to try the pills."

"Ok..."

"And I want you to finish your lunch before you leave the table, ok?"

"Ok."

Mom left. I finished my sandwich. And then I went to Rydel's room. She was at dance though.

"Riker, is everything ok?" Ross asked, standing in the doorway.

"No... I just want to hide in here and never come out."

"Did anything happen this morning?"

"The doctor said I had all these things, and I need medication to get better. And I just feel like I'm crazy and not normal, and I don't want to take the pills, but I don't know what to do!"