Chapter 17 : Turning the day around

Chapter 17

Later...

Riker POV

One, two, three...

Seven, eight, nine...

I angrily wiped away my tears, and looked at what I'd done to myself.

My legs were bleeding.

I'd told Rydel I had a stomachache, which was true, so she'd leave me alone in here. I didn't want to get caught doing this. They'll probably just make fun of me if they find out.

My legs stung where I'd made the cuts. But I cleaned them up pretty well, and changed into some nice soft pjs so my jeans wouldn't be rubbing on them harshly.

I left the bathroom when I was finished, and went to Rydel's room.

"How are you feeling?" Rydel asked.

"Sucky..."

She motioned for me to come over to her. So I sat down on her bed, and she hugged me.

"Riker, what's wrong?"

"Nothing... I just really don't feel well."

"How was school?"

"School was fine... I just don't really understand the lessons."

"Why not?"

"Because they're hard. And Hailey tries to help me, but I just don't get it."

"Well did you get your homework finished?"

"No..."

"Are you going to?"

"I don't know!" I said, bursting into tears.

"Riker, don't cry. It's just homework."

"I'm sorry! I just feel like I want to cry all the time!"

"Why?"

"Because!"

"Because why?"

"I feel so worthless!" I screamed.

I was shaking pretty violently in her arms now. I didn't know what was happening to me. But it felt like I was losing my control over myself. And I just can't take the stress anymore.

"Shhh. Come on. Calm down, Riker. Let's talk about this."

"I don't want to!" I screamed.

"Riker, come on."

I heard the door open. And mom came in.

I crawled into mom's arms instead.

"Come on, baby. Calm down. Everything is going to be alright," she said, softly.

I buried my face in her shoulder, and held onto her tight. She was rubbing my back, and telling me repeatedly to "shhh".

I eventually stopped crying, but I felt absolutely miserable inside.

"Do you want to talk about it, honey?"

"Please don't make me," I whispered.

"I won't if you don't want to. Why don't you come downstairs, and help me in the kitchen, ok?"

"Ok, mommy..."

She took my hand, and led me downstairs. I heard whispers from my other siblings as I walked by. Something about being "too sensitive".

"Riker, can you cut up some vegetables for dinner?"

I nodded. Mom gave me a cutting board, a plate of vegetables, and a knife.