Chapter 13 : Fears

Chapter 13

Later...

Riker POV

Dinner was awkward. I didn't want to talk about anything at all since the incident...

Everybody just carried on and let me be, which I appreciated.

And then dinner was over.

"Riker, I would like to speak to you please," mom said.

My heartbeat sped up. I bet she knows I can't swim.

I stayed at the kitchen table. Everyone else left except mom.

"Your father told me what happened today. Riker, I don't know that much about you yet. And I guess I'll learn more the longer you're here. But there are going to be some things we need to fix. And one of those things is your ability to swim. This is a life skill you need to learn, Riker. You're lucky this happened while someone was around."

"I-I'm sorry..."

"It's ok, honey. It's not your fault."

She put her hand on the top of my head, and petted my head a little.

"Mom?"

"What?"

"I'm trying so hard to trust everyone... But I'm just having a lot of trouble. I'm sorry..."

"It's ok, Riker. You just need time. Trust takes time, especially after what you've been through."

"Mom, I get so worried and so scared of him. I know he hasn't done anything, but I still get so scared! My old dad would always hurt me when he saw me. And when he walked into the room, I would just try to run. My brain won't let me think I'm not in danger. I just get this feeling that I need to run! I'm sorry."

"My poor baby..."

Mom hugged me. I closed my eyes, and relaxed into her touch.

"I know you keep saying he won't hurt me. But my brain keeps telling me he will."

"It's ok, Riker. How are things going with your brothers? Did you hang out with Ross today?"

"Yes... He's nice to me. And he got me out of the pool... I really like him, mom. I've never had a best friend like him or Rydel. They're nice to me."

Mom laughed.

"Of course they're nice. They're your siblings, Riker. They're built in best friends."

"I've never had a best friend before."

Mom sighed.

"Why don't you go upstairs and get ready for bed? We'll talk more about everything tomorrow, ok?"

"Ok, mom."

I went upstairs. Rydel was in bed, doing something on her laptop.

"Everything go ok?" She asked.

"No..."

"I heard about what happened. You really don't know how to swim?"

"No... But I talked to mom... She made me feel a little better, I guess... I just can't seem to get my brain reprogrammed to think that dad isn't dangerous."

"You'll get there eventually, Riker. I'm glad you were brave enough to try hanging out with Ross though."

"I like him. He's nice to me."

"Do you trust him?"

"I think so... He saved me when I fell into the pool. I literally thought I was going to die."