"You are even more of an idiot cactus than I thought," she said. "Listen to me, Y/N, and listen well. She asked for more time not because she doesn't wanna be with you, but the opposite. She asked for more time because she needed more time to fall for you as you fell for her. Get it?"

It was my turn to laugh now. "Now I know you're even more of an idiot than me."

Phantasm smirked. "If she hated you, do you think she'd help you out at the airport? Do you think she'd let you borrow her parent's car? Do you think she'll stay with you after you confessed? And more importantly, if she wanted time to be away from you, do you think she'd accept your mom's invitation to lunch?"

My mouth slowly fell open as the dots finally connected in my head. My heart was beating so fast that if I strained hard enough I could even hear it. But my mind just couldn't accept the fact that Camila was open to the possibility of being with me.

"No, that's not it. You're wrong," I said. But even I had to admit my voice was weak and I couldn't even look Phantasm in the eye. This realization was fucking me up and I didn't know what to do with the new feelings stirring in my chest.

"Cactus," she called out. I looked back at the girl on my phone and didn't even have the strength to get angry over what she just called me. "She's starting to like you. That's the only reason why when you confessed your feelings, she didn't just reject you outright. Because she can't. Think about it."

"You're... right."

"Of course I am," Phantasm said with a smug grin on her face. "That's why wishing for her to cancel is the worst thing you could do. Meet her. Meet her family. Prove to her you're worth it."

"Okay... okay."

"Are you ready then?"

"For what?" I asked, noting that Phantasm didn't look smug anymore. Her smile was soft and her eyes filled with steely resolve.

"To make Camila Cabello fall in love with you."

-//-//-//-//-//-

Sam was busily scrolling through Facebook when I burst through her door and showed her the clothes I brought.

"Does this shirt go with these pants?"

She turned her chair towards me and crossed her legs. "Umm... no?"

I nodded and ran back to my room then back to hers with a new shirt in under a minute. "How about this one?"

"Uh, Y/N, what is this for?"

"Does it matter? Just tell me if it looks good or not, Sam."

"I'm not talking until you tell me what's going on with you."

I rolled my eyes and dropped on her bed. Her ceiling was a soft pink, the same shade as the one on our house before. I remembered how excited Mom was when we painted her room together. Then when it was finished, Sam told me how much she hated pink. When I asked her why she didn't say anything, she told me that she couldn't when she saw how happy mom was. I tilted my head to look at Sam who was staring back at me. I wonder if she remembers that memory somehow. I should ask Phantasm about that later.

I sat up and shrugged. "I just want to look good, you know?"

"For who?"

"...Camila," I said, trying to cover her name with a cough.

Sam's lips curved into a smile as she surveyed me. "You like her, don't you?"

"What?! Who told you that?"

She sighed and stood up. "You literally spat in mom's face at the mention of her name."

"Yes, I guess I did."