Chapter 19

I could be anything in the world but I wanted to be his- the sun and her flowers

Evelyn's POV.

I awoke the following morning to the sound of my alarm blasting into my ear. Taking it off I had no other choice than to get up lazily as I was already late for my shopping day. Seeing that it was already 9:30 in the morning I briefly considered calling to cancel but deep within I knew I would have never been able to get away with it. Having a quick shower, I donned on a long sunset color maxi dress that was given as a gift by Elizabeth on a previous birthday, pairing it with a pair of strappy gold sandals. Whilst I waited on Sergio's arrival, I used the remaining time swiping on a quick touch of makeup as my thoughts wandered away to the conversation I had shared with Lucas during the night. Despite myself, I briefly wondered what he was up to, whether he had lunch or enough rest before the ringing of my cellphone snapped me out of my thoughts. Grabbing my bag, I rushed outside ignoring the guilty look on my face for having thinking about Lucas.

It wasn't like Sergio cared Eve! My inner subconscious chastised.

"Good morning Sergio." I greeted.

"Evelyn." He replied offering me a brief smile as he shut the door.

"I'm a bit late." I said to him on a short laugh.

"I'll see what I can do." He replied accelerating as the SUV drifted forward emerging into the Saturday traffic.

A short time later, true to his word, we safely parked as he discreetly followed behind me.

"Why haven't you taken you time?" Jade scolded upon seeing me as I approached the table neatly placed on the sidewalk. Pushing up her extravagant pair of sunglasses into her hair she raised a questioning brow at me.

"It really is quite a delight to see you too." I muttered rolling my eyes as I took my place under the wide parasol that effectively blocked out the sun.

"What has gotten you into such a bad mood?" Elizabeth asked delicately sipping her tea, "Aside from the obvious of course."

"I'm not in a bad mood, I'm just rather exhausted." I warily replied, "Wait a minute" I said suddenly upright, "What's the obvious?"

"You know..." Jade answered wiggling her arched brows as she passed me a tray of biscuits.

"I really don't." I replied sipping my tea internally groaning.

"You have never been a good liar Eve." She replied.

"How is Lucas?" Elizabeth asked.

"Alive and well I presume." I stated ignoring the sudden beat of my heart at the mention of his name.

"Is that why you look so flush?" Jade knowingly asked on a laugh.

Ignoring their looks, I turned to Charlotte who had been quiet since I arrived, "Are you alright Char?"

Transfixed, her attention was captured elsewhere as I called out to her again. My eyes met Jade and Elizabeth's across the table as they looked on in equal confusion.

"Char?" I said again at the same time Elizabeth kicked her under the table.

"Oh my!" She yelped glaring at Elizabeth who shrugged.

"Eve called you multiple times Char." Jade said to her.

"Eve!" She suddenly said offering me a tight hug, "Why are you flushed?"

Rolling my eyes I replied, "Why are you flushed?"

"There is this extremely attractive man on the table to the right. I think I'm in love." She stated dreamily.