Chapter 15

In all the world there is no heart for me like yours. In all the world there is no love for you like mine. –Maya Angelou

Evelyn's POV.

A knock on my door interrupted me from my work on hand as I called out for the person to enter.

"Evelyn, are you alright?" Alicia rushed on frantically as her eyes shimmered with tears, "I'm terribly sorry for what happened."

"It wasn't your fault." I said reassuringly motioning for her to have a seat.

"It is." She replied dropping down onto the chair as though her legs had suddenly given out, "When Mr. Demachelis asked me to be your assistant he made it clear that your safety should have been a top priority. The building's security should always greet you on mornings to avoid such fiascos."

"Alicia." I said soothingly as she continued to ramble on, "I got through far worse remember?"

At that a small giggle escaped her throat.

"Where have you been all morning?" I questioned.

"I am originally apart of Mr. Demachelis' PR team. I was immersed in work all morning. He's suing the reporters for trespassing and harassment." She replied.

"Isn't that overly excessive?" I questioned rolling my eyes.

"Not to him no." She replied dutifully, "He takes your personal safety very seriously."

My mind instantly wondered back to the morning as I felt the familiar heat rise in my body remembering the intense look in his eyes as his deeply accented words repeated in my head.

"Would you like to go to lunch now?" She asked bringing in me back to the here and now as flustered I picked up my glass of water taking a much needed sip.

As we were about to head out the door, Lucas emerged with a dark scowl marring his face.

"Where do you think you are going?" He questioned sternly.

"Am I suddenly not allowed to eat?" I snapped as his jaw tightened in tension. Alicia softly gasped beside me as she looked on avoiding both our eyes.

"I never said that." He responded softening his tone as he approached us in easy strides, "What will like for lunch?"

"Pizza." I said as he arched a questioning brow.

"Pizza?" He questioned.

"Are you suddenly opposed to pizza?" I remarked, "Wouldn't your motherland dissolve if they hear the great Lucas Demachelis hates pizza?"

"Did I say I hate it?" He questioned as his red mouth thinned. Turning to Alicia he instructed, "There is a nearby authentic pizzeria. The chef is Sicilian. My driver will take you there as a precautionary measure. Be on the lookout for the press."

"Yes sir." Alicia said as she all but scampered away leaving me trapped in the suddenly confined space.

"Was it necessary to terrify her you Italian dictator?" I hissed turning my attention to him as he unbuttoned his charcoal suit jacket.

"Should I remind you that I sign the paychecks?" He asked.

"You..." I began before thinking better of it and lowering my voice, "I am not going to waste my time and lecture you." I said defeated, "You are so unbearably arrogant and hard headed."

"Did you just call me hard headed?" He questioned as his eyes darkened in amusement. Stalking closer to me I automatically stepped back until I felt the glass of my desk hit my back.