Chapter 12

He looked at her the way she needed to be looked at, like the whole world could crumble and he wouldn't blink-atticus 

Evelyn's POV.

Despite the sweltering heat, my body shivered in his arms as I tilted my head backwards meeting his blazing eyes as they shone down at me with such an intensity that made the breath hitch in my throat. Before I could have any other reaction, his strong arms came under my bare legs as he swept me into his arms and carried me bridal style across the rough ground and into the awaiting vehicle. With that same air of thickening silence, he buckled me in before shutting the door quietly against my shocked face. As Mark drove away from the construction site, the physical and mental distance that Lucas seemed to have created between us stretched unbearably as the air bristled with tension.

On our return to the office, as he stood as arrogant and confident as ever, commanding the attention of the room as the meeting progressed, he kept our interactions limited, minimal and professional as he avoided my gaze as though it was the plague. An undercurrent of hurt stung at me as I retreated to the solitude of my office enraptured in thought, that I was unaware of Alicia's presence until she placed a comforting hand onto my shoulder startling me.

"Is everything okay?" She asked concerned.

"Yes but I may be just a little exhausted." I replied half truthfully.

"Would you like me to fetch a cold drink?" She asked, "The weather outside is unusually heated and you have been in the sun for a while." She continued already making her way to the door.

"I think I should be alright." I insisted as her green eyes frowned upon me in concern.

"Have you eaten lunch yet?" She questioned as my guilty expression gave away my answer.

A short while later, she re-entered my office as we sat down having lunch while revising the hotel plans.

A short knock soon interrupted as Will peered in sneakily looking around before entering, "I'm not supposed to be here." He staged whispered before quietly shutting the door.

"Why is that?" I question arching a brow as he took a seat next to Alicia.

"You know the answer to that." He stated fixating me with a knowing look as the dark expression returned.

"You have the courage of a soldier Anderson." Alicia said to Will.

"No love but I do consider myself a risk taker." He stated smugly before his expression changed as his eyes darted nervously towards the adjoining door.

"Would you relax?" She replied, "He isn't here."

An audible sigh of relief escaped his lips as he sagged back into the seat.

"Where is he?" I found myself asking.

"Martha informed me that he left abruptly after the meeting ended." Alicia replied.

"It must have something to do with the mood he is in." Will added, "My department manager said that no one dared speaking in the meeting that was held earlier."

Twin pairs of expectant eyes looked my way awaiting my response as I shrugged noncommittally.

"I should return to my actual job." Will said rising, "It feels as though he is somewhere around looking over my shoulder."

"I think that is just called paranoia." Alicia commented.

"It happens to the best of us Greene." Will replied undoing the button of his charcoal suit jacket, "I think it is a very natural reaction one would have after my previous encounter."

As they bantered their way out my office doors, the remainder of the day trudged by uneventful as I exited the building in taking a lungful of air finally able to relax as the tension slowly escaped my suddenly worn out body. 

A/N: Hey guys i hope you're enjoying the story. Feedback is important to please vote and comment. Be sure to check out 'THE BILLIONAIRE'S ULTIMATUM' 'THE BILLIONAIRE'S ARRANGED WIFE' and 'THE BILLIONAIRE'S CHRISTMAS REVENGE' available on my page.

See you soon... 

oxoxox...Allison :)