Chapter 23:

Tasha: I went down to get something to eat, only after realizing the last time I had any food was earlier that morning, and that was before all of the madness.

On my way down to the cafeteria, I found Steve, walking the same direction. "Hey," I said, "Are you headed to the cafeteria?" I figured he was, just because of the direction he was headed there was really not much accessible. I was amazed how much SHIELD was keeping from us. But I didn't ask any questions.

"Yeah," Steve said.

"Do you think you'd mind showing me the way?" I asked, "I sort of have tried this a few times and just end up lost."

"Sure," he said, "Just follow me." I followed faithfully, scanning my surroundings so I could remember the way. "So, uh, how's the inventing thing going?" Steve asked, trying to make small talk.

"The 'inventing thing' is going well. I think I've figured out how to shut this guy up," I said, smugly.

"How?" Steve said.

"Using an electra-net that is close enough to shock him his muscles in his mouth can't move. There for he can't open his mouth. And so he can't get it off, I have a 15 point finger print scanner so only the coded finger prints can open it," I explained. Steve looked at me blankly. "Where did I lose you?" I asked.

"You didn't," Steve said, "The electro thingy makes perfect sense I probably could have thought of it." His voice was absent.

I gave him a stern look, "Electro thingy?"

"Okay, you lost me at 'Using an'," Steve said. I laughed.

"It's pretty much a glorified, high tech, gag with a fancy lock," I simplified. Then he caught on.

"I understood that way of phrasing it," Steve said.

I laughed, "70 years behind in tech and you get stuck learning about some of the most advanced gadgets known to man."

"Well, I played with some pretty advanced stuff in my day, so I suppose its only fair," Steve said, "Although last I checked phones connected to the walls and were used for talking. Now they are just free and people use them to shoot birds at pig-frog type things."

"And computers didn't fold in half," I said laughing.

"Don't joke about that," Steve said, "When I come from there were no computers, but the idea of one folding way as well be dark magic."

"Hardly," I said, "Just some wires connecting the screen to the mother board and some hinges."

"Mother board?" Steve asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Never mind," I said. Steve smirked.

"Now you think I'm just an idiot don't you," Steve said.

"I think you missed a privilege to see technology advance," I said, "It's fascinating. Like seeing a family history and how your family has grown and changed over the years."

"All I know is records still sound better than the, uh, MP6s or whatever," Steve said.

"MP3," I said, "Nice try though. Maybe once this is all over I can teach you a little about tech."

"That would be extremely helpful, obviously," Steve said.

"So do you think we'll get this guy?" I asked.

"We got the Asguardian with an alien army," Steve said, shrugging.

"Could the Asguardian change the course of humanity from a hot tub?" I asked.

"He could possess people," Steve said, "With help of a magical outer space spear that also was extremely deadly as a base weapon."

"What if he didn't need the outer space spear thing?" I asked.

"Are you trying to talk me down, Miss. Stark?" Steve asked. I had to hide a blush as he called me Miss. Stark like I had told him to.

"It's Tasha," I said, "And no. Its just I work of realism. Realistically there is no way to get this guy."

"Being realistic is stupid," Steve said, "Realistically I don't exist. And neither does your brain, or Ms. Marvel's powers, or the Hulk." I smiled. He had a point.

"Thanks," I said.

"No problem," Steve said, "So aside from teaching old guys how to use technology, what do you do for fun?"

I was silent for a moment. We walked into the doors of the cafeteria and grabbed trays. Finally I said, "I fly."

"You fly?" Steve asked.

"Yeah," I said, "You know, moving while levitating."

"I know what flying is," Steve said, "You can fly?"

"I have an Iron Suit too," I pointed out, "It's calming."

"Maybe to you," Steve said.

"It's not to you?" I asked.

"Landing reminds me of falling into the water that time," Steve explained.

"Landing has to happen eventually," I said, "Or else you'll just be flying around in the air forever."

"You're right about one thing," Steve said, "You're nothing like your dad."

I smiled, "Glad you think so." But I found myself with one question to add to the pile: why was he so easy to talk to?