Chapter 3:

Tasha: He didn't turn me away. I suppose that was a small victory.

I sat down on the bed, opening my laptop. I started a new project on my virtual workshop, software where I could build things. My mom always said I had my dad's knack for engineering. It always made her smile when I could build something for her. But now she was gone, and all I had was a dad, who didn't want me, a step-mom, who didn't know I had existed, and my computer.

I got bored after a while. I got up from my bed, laptop under my arm, and started roaming. Finally I found my way downstairs.

The workshop was spectacular. All the latest technology, alongside every type of anything you could imagine. Metals, tools, inventions. I walked in silently, seeing Tony sitting at a desk. One machine appeared to look at me. It made a high pitch "woo" sound.

"Dummy," Tony said. He looked up, and saw me. "How'd you get down here?" he asked.

"You have a fingerprint pin," I said absently, still glancing at the machine, "A simple rewiring lets anyone in."

"You rewired my lock?" Tony asked, seeming somewhere between impressed and violated.

"I'll put it back," I said, shrugging.

"So you're 16?" Tony asked. I turned to look at him.

"Yep," I said, "Can we get past the awkward small talk?"

"Sure," Tony said, "So you know how to rewire a 14 point fingerprint lock?"

"Child's play," I said, "So you're Iron Man?"

"I'd say child's play, but they stuff's not exactly a lock," Tony said, shrugging.

"What sort of battery power does the suit run on?" I asked, looking around at a few of the suits around the room.

"Well, they used to work on arc reactor power, but now I'm working on a new element which could possibly power the suits indefinably," Tony said.

"Have you ever tried a form of body power?" I asked.

"What?" Tony said, "Each suit weighs around 500 pounds. You don't honestly think any human could power it do you?"

"It's a prototype for a battery I've been working on," I said, "A receiver is put under the skin, and provided your heart continues to beat, the receiver sends a signal to the battery, using the energy from your body to power the insert battery powered item here."

Tony sat back, crossing his arms, "That's amazing. I'm not totally sure it can be done though."

"I've been working on it for a while. So far it's not quite perfect, but I'm getting close," I said, crossing my arms.

"That's incredible," Tony said, "How?"

"A magician never reveals her secrets," I said, smiling. But that's when the room fell silent. It was my mom's saying. I shifted foot to foot. "Um, if I'm going to be staying here, can I at least go grab some of my stuff?" I asked.

"Sure," Tony said, turning back to his computer screen. I waited a few seconds. But he didn't look up.

"Could I borrow a car?" I asked.

"Uh, no," Tony said, "No one drives them but me. Do you even have a license?"

"Pepper?" I asked, instantly, "And my mom taught me how to drive, do you think you even need to ask?"

"She's my wife and she's running my company," Tony said, "And I remember your mom's driving.

"I'm your daughter," I said, shrugging, "So...?"

"Who's 16 and doesn't need to be driving a car worth more than an MIT college tuition," Tony said.

"Then how do I go get my stuff. Should I ask Pepper?" I asked. Tony contemplated that for a moment, then sighed.

"Fine," he said, "But you scratch it and I'll send Rodey after you." He threw a key faub at me.

"Rodey?" I asked, catching the faub effortlessly.

"Not important, unless you scratch my car," Tony said. I rolled my eyes. I unlocked the car, a Mercedes Benz's lights flashing as I did so. I got in.

"See yah," I called. But Tony was already looking at a computer screen.

I drove out of the garage, hitting the freeway. I let my fingers get lost in the comfort of the Mercedes' steering wheels, then I turned on the radio, drowning my thoughts in the music, settling in for the drive.