Prologue

This was it. This is the end! I...I'm going to die here! I hugged my knees close to my chest, waiting for the moment to come.

"Hey!" I heard a voice say. I looked up to see a redhead boy about my age. A-am I saved?

"Huh? A child? What are you gunna do, eh? You're nothing special..." the monster grumbled.

The redhead growled and threw another rock at it. He grabbed my hand and dragged me out of the corner. "Come on!"

'Who...'

"Hurry up! That was just enough to distract him! If he catches up, we're-!"

"Dead?" we stopped running and looked at the monster behind us. I clung to the redhead, hoping he'd be able to save us again.

"I-I don't know what to do! This is it! We're goners!" he said, falling to his knees. The monster took a step forward, and out of nowhere, a woman(I put a girl because everyone else puts boys. FEMINISM!!!!) in a black kimono dropped down from the sky, slicing the monster in half. As soon as she landed, she was gone. We both stared in shock at what we just witnessed. 'Was that..?'

"...Shinigami?" The redhead finally said.

"huh?"

"You don't know what a Shinig-"

"Of course I do. I just... forgot you were there..."

"o-oh..."

"Um... Thank you. Do you mind if I ask your name?" I asked, holding out a hand.

He looked at me with a confused expression before grinning and taking my hand. "Renji. Abarai Renji!"

"Y/N. F/N. It's nice to meet you, Renji!"

"Yeah, you too! C'mon, let's go!"