Chapter 19 ~ Beautiful Memories

"Well, I didn't expect to run into you again. It's Leah, isn't it?"

Leah looked up and found herself face to face with the same older woman from earlier.  Ideene's  hazel eyes held concern much like they had on their first meeting. Only this time, it seemed to be for Leah and not Wren.

Embarrassed at being caught crying, Leah ducked her head. "Yes, I'm Leah." She patted her cheeks with her fingers' tips, dabbing at the moisture. "Do - do you need something? If you need help, I can call Butler Wren to assist you."

"Oh, no. No need to call Wren. To be honest, my feet are aching, and I just need a small rest. I'll be fine in a moment."

Leah couldn't resist glancing at the woman. Weariness deepened the lines in Ideene's face; concern rose inside Leah. "Oh, I'm sorry...that your feet hurt. If I could drive, I would get your car for you."

Gentleness softened Ideene's features.  "That is very kind of you to offer, but walking is what keeps me out of the nursing home. Thank you, though. What a sweet girl you are."

Leah flushed again, memories of her treatment of Wren rising. She ducked her head again. "I suppose you didn't think so earlier... That I was sweet, I mean."

"No. No, I didn't. To be honest, I was kind of angry with you when I saw how you were treating my Wren."

Tears once again stung her eyes. "I - I don't regret it!"

There was a moment of silence before Ideene spoke. "Now why would you not regret treating another human being like that?"

Leah sqeezed her eyes shut, the movement forcing the moisture in them to fall as tears down her cheeks yet again. Her chest tightened with guilt, and no witty response came. The question itself  convicted her.  She opened her eyes to see a white kerchief resting on her floral skirt. Whether it was from the condemning question or the small act of kindness, Leah's turmoil erupted into a series of sobs. A soft hand began to stroke her back and the murmured words, "It's okay to cry," touched her.  Cry she did. 

Finally, when the sobs lessened, Leah cleaned her face and blew her nose in a rather loud manner that seemed to surprise Ideene, but Leah just offered a wobbly smile. "Thank you," she said.

"I didn't do much. Sometimes, women just need a good cry. I know I do!"

Leah nodded. She fidgeted with the soiled handkerchief. "It's been a long time since I cried like that. I - I can't really remember the last time."

"Hmm... I'm glad you did."

"Yeah..." There was another pause before Leah's head ducked into her hidden position behind her silky tresses. "I do regret it," she whispered.

"I had a feeling you did.  If you don't mind my asking... What caused you to go to such extremes? Is Wren unkind?" 

"He's been nothing but kind."

"Then why?"

"Because... I'm scared."

Ideene frowned. "Of Wren?"

"No. I-I'm scared of myself." Leah looked up as buried fear broke free of its cage. "I'm scared because he is so good.  I'm scared I might trust him." Then to herself, thought, I'm terrified because he makes my heart flutter in a way I can't control.

"But don't you want a butler that you can trust?"

"I - I suppose, but I overheard Wren say he is leaving  after a year.  What is the point in learning to trust someone if they are just going to disappear from your life? Wouldn't that just cause more pain later?"