Original Edition - Tip 26: Donuts are Forever

Start from the beginning

My hands shoot up to his right arm and using full force, I flip him over.

He opens his eyes and looks at me. I'm note sure what that look is, but maybe it's shock or confusion or both. I smirk, "Too bad I had too prove it to you, but yes, I can take you down."

I get up and walk to the washroom, but not before chucking a pillow at him that lands beautifully on his face.

I shut the bathroom door and press my back against it. Was he going to... No, of course not, he was just teasing you, I tell myself. I kind of hate him, but I kind of don't? I'm just so confused. I go to the sink and splash some water onto my face, trying to splash some sense into myself.

I've been spending way too much time with him.

I really need to spend some time by myself.

I take a quick shower, brush my teeth, change back into yesterday's clothes, then head back into the room. The bed is now fixed neatly and James is nowhere to be seen.

Following the sound of rustling, I walk downstairs and make my way to the kitchen.

"Morning Lara!" Tita Gia says, then takes a sip from her cup of coffee.

The whole family is seated at the table with the exception of James.

Tito Danny looks up from his newspaper and asks me, "Any requests for breakfast? Tony is already making some scrambled eggs, bacon, and muffins, but we weren't sure if you wanted anything else."

I turn around to see Tony, very focused on making everything.

"I'm good. I'm just going to get myself some orange juice from the fridge." I reply, standing up.

"Oh sit down! We can ask Mary to get it!" she remarks.

"No need, I can get it. It's just over there anyways," I tell her, rejecting the offer.

I continue towards the fridge and pull out a box of orange juice. I pour it into a tall glass, then turn around, crashing into somebody. The juice spills all over his white shirt and I try to apologize but I end up just mouthing the word, "Sorry".

I rush to get some napkins, but he grips my wrist and keeps me from going.

"Don't worry about it. It's just a shirt." he says, giving me a small smile, but it seems forced.

He turns to his family, "I'll be back in two minutes. I'm just going to change." Tito Danny gives him a curt nod.

When he gets back to the room, breakfast is served. As we eat the delicious food, Tito Danny clears his throat and we divert our attention to him. "I just wanted to let you guys know about the banquet next week. It's actually been moved to December because we decided that we wanted to make it as great as it can be. Especially since our rivals are having theirs in that month, we wanted to compete for the investors."

Everyone just nods except Seb, who is just ignoring all the business talk and eating his bacon.

After breakfast, I tell the family that I'm going to go home. Tita Gia asks if I need a ride but I refuse, wanting to walk although it's a bit wet outside.

"See you at school tomorrow!" I wave goodbye at James. He just nods and doesn't even offer to walk with me.

***

The next morning, I sit by the lockers, waiting for anyone to talk to. Maybe not anyone, but someone. I could easily start a conversation with any of the people around, but I'm just waiting for Kiera, or Jasmine, or Carol.

Maybe even James.

I look from right to left, waiting to hear my last name being called out, or some obnoxious laughter and a voice reminding me of some past embarrassing experience.