Chapter 5- Daniel

Start from the beginning

"Hey," I said gently. "I'm not going to hurt you. I just want to apologise for throwing you off the trail." 

She regarded me cautiously, not saying a word.

"What's your name?" I asked, hoping she would respond.

"Ashling," she whispered, bringing her hand to her head and wincing in pain.

I swore. "Look, I really think you need to go to the hospital. Do you have a car?"

Ashling shook her head, which clearly caused even more pain. "No, I ran here."

"Then please let me drive you," I begged.

I could see her considering how wise it would be to let a complete stranger drive her somewhere while she was in this condition, but then again she was definitely hurt. She finally came to a decision. "Fine. But my cousin knows I'm here, if anything happens to me I swear he'll-" 

"I won't hurt you," I repeated, amused. I stood up and offered her my hand but she flinched away.

"Don't touch me," she hissed.

I didn't say anything, but I didn't offer any more help as she picked herself up shakily. I searched for my phone and called Grace to tell her I'd be late as Ashling followed me to my car.

On the drive to the hospital, I asked Ashling several questions to make sure her brain wasn't damaged. She refused to answer any personal questions, so I resorted to general questions such as what day it was and who the president was. She answered everything correctly without hesitation.

Upon arriving at the hospital, I parked quickly and jumped out of the car to open Ashling's door. I noticed her shiver as she was still in her running gear in the cold night. I reached into the back seat to retrieve the jacket I knew I had in there. I was also in my running gear but I was too pumped up on adrenaline to feel the cold.

I shut the door and locked the car before offering my jacket to Ashling, who smiled in appreciation. But as she reached out for it under the streetlight, I saw several light scars on the inside of her wrist. She must've seen me staring, because she quickly snatched the jacket from me.

"Ashling..." I began.

"I don't want to talk about it," she said curtly, and when I looked at her face it was completely closed off. 

Even though it bothered me a great deal, I let it go as we walked towards the entrance. I had this irritating compulsion to help people who clearly needed help. It came to a point when all I could think about was helping that person, and it drove me crazy until I did. But I had startled Ashling enough. It would only frighten her even more if I pushed this issue.

We entered the hospital and went straight to reception. The secretary was old and decrepit, and looked more like a patient in the hospital than someone working there. She also seemed completely bored. If she was unsatisfied with her job, why didn't she just retire? She was definitely old enough.

"Hello," the secretary greeted us.

"Hi, she had a bad fall and I think she might have a concussion," I told her, receiving a strange look as she took in my clothes.

After taking Ashling's details, we were directed towards the seating area.

It turns out that hospitals are very busy on a Friday night. I ended up waiting with Ashling for a full hour. No words were exchanged between us, although I did attempt to instigate a conversation a couple of times. I came to the conclusion that Ashling was just very shy, or maybe in shock. I wouldn't have known she'd said anything if she hadn't turned towards me with a questioning expression.

"I'm sorry, what?" I asked.

She allowed a smile. "I said, what's your name?"

She had such an intriguing accent. "Oh, sorry, did I not tell you? It's Daniel."

She nodded and turned away again. I heard her say my name to herself and I smiled. Then the realisation hit me that I had been gone for three whole hours, leaving Grace alone with Hudson for a total of nine hours, since they hadn't had school that day. I felt awful- that was completely unfair.

"Sorry for holding you up," Ashling said unexpectedly. "You must have so many things to do."

"Don't be ridiculous, it was completely my fault," I said dismissively. "If you don't mind me asking, where are you from? I can't place your accent."

She laughed. It was a fascinating tinkling sound. "I literally just moved here from Ireland this morning."

My eyes widened. "Wow. You must be so tired from all of the travelling. I honestly can't tell you how sorry I am."

She shrugged, smiling.

"How old are you? Are you starting school here?" I inquired.

"I'm sixteen, I'm starting at Oakland High on Monday."

"I go there!" I said excitedly, grinning.

"Maybe I'll see you there," she said, grinning too.

Grace and Hudson popped into my head again. "Look, Ashling, I'm really sorry to do this to you, but I have to get home soon. It's a family thing. I'll pay for everything, of course. Do you want me to call you a cab?" I stood up.

Her face was blank, shutting me out again. I felt sad, instantly regretting ruining the moment we had shared. "No, I'll call my cousin," she said.

I knew she'd be mad at me for pulling something like this, but I couldn't tell her about my brother. She'd be starting at my school next week, and the only person who knew there was Shaun.

I handed her some money. "I'm really sorry. I hope I'll see you on Monday."

No response.

When I got home, Hudson and Grace were asleep in the sitting room. I smiled. I'd love to leave them there, but Hudson couldn't stay in the chair all night.

I woke them up gently and put Hudson to bed before apologising profusely to Grace and explaining what happened with Ashling. She insisted that she didn't mind, but she seemed very interested in Ashling, as I was.

I went to bed soon after Grace left, and I dreamt of a black haired, blue eyed girl all night.

A/N: And now all the characters have met in some way! Yay! 

I don't tend to post songs that have relevence to the story, just ones I was listening to while writing. But I suppose this one could kinda relate to Daniel while he's running? :P

Thank you for reading, and please vote and comment if you liked it! Or if you didn't like it. Or if you don't have an opinion. Anything's good with me <('-')>

Next upload is on THURSDAY, and it will be in.. I think Hudson's point of view. So you'll get to see his school xD And whether he has friends or not... (0.0)