Chapter 1- Daniel

Daniel's POV

"I think you should bang her."

Only my best friend, Shaun Hale, would actually have the audacity to shout these words from halfway across the basketball court, loud enough to draw the attention of a couple of students studying on the benches.

I winced. "Do you really have to be so freaking loud?"

Shaun shot the ball through the air. It sailed through the net and bounced back to him. He caught it and jogged to my side.

"Sorry man, but seriously, she's hot and she's been throwing herself at you all summer. I don't know why you haven't gotten in there yet."

The girl he was referring to was Caroline Mitchell. In her mind, her father being the principal of our school gave her the right to own everything and everyone in it, especially me. It was only recently she began paying attention to me, and although I would like to believe it was because of my charming personality, I knew better. I had overheard the girls talking often enough to know that they considered me hot.

"Nah dude, I don't want to be tied down right now," I told Shaun.

"Then just hump and dump," he said without any hesitation. The students sitting on the benches looked up with disgusted expressions.

I groaned. "You have no filter."

"No, but I do have amazing abs."

"Yeah, whatever, I don't want to be just another guy she adds to her collection."

"So why don't you add her to yours?"

I looked away. Shaun was under the impression that I was a major player, but to be honest I hadn't been with a girl in what seemed like forever. Between taking care of my brother and work I just didn't have the time, and I really couldn't be bothered making the effort.

"I'll think about it," I lied.

We were both sweaty from playing basketball when we should have been in Physics. I heard my stomach growl and realised how starved I was. The bell rang faintly in the distance and we began to make our way inside.

I saw the double doors of the school burst open, and out flew a mess of blonde hair and paint splattered clothes that I would recognise anywhere. I watched as the boy flung himself at a surprised Shaun and crushed his lips to his. The shock disappeared from Shaun's face and was replaced by a smile as he wrapped his arms around Adam and enthusiastically responded to the passionate kiss.

I looked at the ground, slightly uncomfortable. I mean, I was now used to Shaun being gay after he told me six months ago, but it was still weird to see him like this. He had been seeing Adam in secret for about a year before he told me, and they came out to the school about a month ago. They had to put up with a lot of crap from our peers, and although I reacted badly at first, I was now accustomed to it and Shaun and I were as close as we had always been.

Besides, I loved Adam. He completed Shaun, if that doesn't sound too gay. Adam had a particularly eccentric personality, and Shaun was blatantly outspoken. Shaun was a pretty laid back guy, but when Adam was around he was a completely different person. He was happier, kinder and just better.

The two in question broke away, breathless.

"Wow, did someone miss me?" Shaun teased with a smile.

"Maybe," Adam breathed, leaning into him then suddenly pushing Shaun away. "Eew, you stink!" he wrinkled his nose in disgust.

Shaun rolled his eyes. "It's called sweat, Adam. It comes with physical activity so I can understand why you wouldn't be too familiar with it."

"Hilarious," Adam dead panned, then swiftly elbowed Shaun in the ribs.

"Ouch!" Shaun bellowed, bending over in mock pain.

Adam began to run away, but Shaun lunged at him, picked him up and spun him around before turning Adam to face him and planting a kiss on his open mouth.

I was physically unable to witness any more of this gag worthy romance. I grabbed the basketball and aimed at Shaun's head. Luckily, it hit its target and the two broke apart instantly. Shaun hissed in pain and brought his hand to his head. I smiled, satisfied with my work.

"Come on, lovebirds, I'm starving to death over here!"

"Alright, alright, we're coming," Shaun grumbled as he threw his right arm over Adam's shoulder and continued rubbing his head.

Once we got through the door I was, well, I suppose you'd have to say attacked by Caroline.

"Where have you been, Danny?" she purred, touching my arm. I flinched away. "I missed you in Physics today, but I'm sure we'll have chemistry tonight."

Shaun sauntered past, waggling his eyebrows at me. I noticed he had let go of Adam, and this annoyed me a great deal. Shaun really loved Adam, but he didn't like to display a lot of affection in public, even though everyone knew about their sexual orientation by now. I knew it bothered Adam too, but he never said anything.

"I was outside," I told Caroline, beginning to walk away. Of course, she followed me. Damn, she was clingy.

"Maybe next time I could come with you," she suggested with a flirtatious smile. We had reached the cafeteria by now.

"Um, yeah, I dunno, it's kind of a thing I just do with Shaun?" I replied.

"Oh," Caroline pouted, clearly put out. "I guess we'll just have to hang out some other time, then," she decided, flipping her platinum blonde hair over her shoulder in that annoying way girls do.

I sighed loudly. I'd had enough. "You know what, Caroline, I'm not interested, okay? I know you like me, but I'm not into you. So go find someone else to annoy. You just don't do it for me. Sorry," I added as an afterthought. Harsh, I know, but I needed to get the message across.

Caroline's nostrils flared. "You'll regret saying that, you know," she warned me. Knowing Caroline, I probably would, but at that moment I really didn't care.

She strutted off and I headed towards a table, feeling like all eyes were on me. I sat with Shaun and Adam, not 'the popular table' where Adam was never accepted for being openly gay, where Shaun was no longer welcome for having the balls to admit his sexuality and where Caroline was sure to be.

"What was that about? She looked pissed off." I could sense Shaun scrutinising me. I shrugged, letting him know that I didn't want to talk about it.

"She looks so upset," Adam said sadly, watching Caroline. I could never understand how the kid could evoke genuine sympathy for literally anyone, even someone like Caroline who was a bitch to him almost all of the time. I shrugged again.

"I still think you should bang her," Shaun said with a grin, earning himself another elbow in the ribs from Adam.

A/N: So I'm writing this with CiaraO who is a mindblowing person and who can come up with the best situations to write about!! This is why Fixing You is also on her page, it's the exact same story so come to either of us :) Please let us know what you think of the characters! Shaun's my favourite xD We'll be uploading the next chapter on Tuesday so look out for that! And thanks for reading :)