Chapter 25: Escape From The Institute

Alarms blared.
Doors clanged.
Scientists and Erasers were racing through the halls.
Two experiments had escaped.
Two of the Angel Experiment.
Ten and Rose Tyler.
"Rose! Run!" Ten cried, his legs going as fast as they could take him. There wasn't nearly enough room to fly yet. His wings would have ended up getting beaten to death by the walls. Rose gave a frantic nod, her hand in his to keep up. They were so close to freedom. So close to the exit.
There were eight of them. Eight of the Angel Experiment in this facility. There used to be nine. Harriet had died last week.
Ten regretted not being able to save all of them. But he was so weak. He couldn't open all of the cages. They hadn't been fed in a week. Hell, Rose had barely been able to walk at first.
The Erasers were catching up.
Ten was 13 years old, as was Rose. He had been here since... Well, forever. Yet Rose had been kidnapped and taken here three years ago. They were the best of friends.
Ten kicked open the doors to the exit. The Erasers were so close. He practically threw Rose into the air, his telepathy hearing her cry of thanks before it ever left her lips. He spread his wings, taking a leap into the air-
He shrieked as a pair of rough hands clamped the bases of his wings. He tried to kick, to punch, to do anything to get free.
"Ten!" Rose screamed, stopping and slowly heading towards her.
"Rose! Stay back!" Ten yelped as he was dragged back into the dim light of the facility, away from the warmth of the sun and the fresh air. He clawed at the ground, screaming, begging for them to let him go. The door slammed shut, and he almost wriggled out of their grasp, but this time a hand gripped his throat and squeezed, and he stopped struggling. He was limp all the way back to his cage, still whimpering Rose's name as he was thrown with a hard clang back into the crate.