Chapter Thirty Four

Joanne Belle Kameron

After the entire "Brandon" incident, I went back to my parents' house. I took the mail and saw a 'For Rent' ad.

  A comfy apartment for rent on 5th Avenue. $50 per month. Call Bridget at 555-675-890.

  I quickly dialed the number.

  "Hello?" a female's voice said.

  "Um . . . is this Bridget from the 'Apartment for Rent' ad?" I asked.

  "Yes, dear. Would you like to see the apartment now?"

  "Sure," I replied enthusiastically.

  I changed into a purple halter neck dress, slipped on some pumps and tugged my hair into a ponytail.

  I grabbed my purse and quickly started the engine on my car before zooming to 5th Avenue.

I went to the location the apartment was and saw a middle-aged woman waiting outside.

  "Excuse me, are you Bridget?" I asked.

  "Oh my goodness. You're Joanne Belle! My children would not believe I've met you. Um, is there anything I can do for you, Miss Belle?" she asked.

  "I saw your 'For Rent' sign and wanted to rent this apartment," I explained patiently.

  "Oh, sure, sure," she said.

  I stepped inside. It was huge. "$50 per month? Isn't that a little too cheap?"

  She shook her head. "I don't want to be cruel. Especially for those cash-strapped people."

  What a kind lady, I thought. "Thank you. So how do I pay you?" I asked.

  "Well, I'll be here every month," she told me. "You can give me the money then."

  "Won't that be troublesome for you?" I enquired.

  "No, no," she assured me. "I live next door. See-this apartment used to belong to my husband but he moved to Washington. We were divorced so he bought another apartment."

  I smiled. "Thank you."