Chapter Twenty Three

Joanne Belle Kameron

~Saturday morning, a time when Brandon's still sleeping~

"Uh, hey, Blake. Can we talk about the contract?" I asked in a voice soft enough to not wake Brandon up but loud enough for Blake to hear.

  "Lemme guess," Blake said in a bored tone. "You and Brandon are trying out a real relationship and want to back out of the contract."

  I winced at her harsh tone. "No. Well - yes. Can we?"

  She sighed over the phone. "Look, sweetie pie. It's not that I don't approve of your relationship - which I don't to be honest. It's just that you and Brandon signed the contract. Until your year is up, you can't back out, do you understand, honey?"

  Disappointed, I just said,"Yes, Blake." and hung up.

  I went back to the bedroom (I was in the living room during the chat with Blake Klaires) only to find Brandon sitting in an upright position, looking a bit drowsy.

  "Uh, good morning," I said. "Sleep well last night, Prince?"

  He rolled his eyes goofily. "No. And I demand you, the royal servant, to get me a new mattress. This time I want it gold!" he joked in a British accent.

  To go along with his little "joke", I bowed and used a British accent too. "Why, your Highness, my sincerest apologies. But the Royal Mattress-Maker has run out of gold. And Repunstilskin has been chasen out of the kingdom. Whatever shall we do?" I giggled.

  "Of course I slept well last night, Joanne," he said, spoiling the fun we've have joking around like royalties. "I had you beside me."

  I blushed. "Aww," I cooed.