Matt

It was a particularly warm afternoon in September and you'd taken off two of the three layers you'd worn to work that day. You knew your co-worker, Janet, liked the room to feel sub-tropical but on a day like today you really didn't need the radiators on. You combed back your fringe with your fingers and turned on your fan: it was becoming unbearable.

Usually by now someone had complained but the office was pretty much empty today and there were only a few members from each department holding the fort.

"Oh um great," you chirped up tapping your fingers on your desk. Your computer had just crashed for the third time today and you couldn't figure out why. You'd fiddled with the wires, turned it off and on again, the usual spiel even the IT guys complied to.

"Computer gone again or have you finally succumb to the heat," your boss half chuckled.

You cringed hoping Janet hadn't seen you put on your fan too, but after a quick peak over the divider you noticed she'd popped out.

"Haha no," you relaxed, "well yes I guess so shall we turn it down? Think she's melted my pc too," you smiled at him and regarded his response.

"Well why not go see Bill, we might be missing something. Oh and while you're at it please turn the thermostat down," he smiled.

You'd always liked John he'd looked after you from the off. You'd started with the company as an apprentice and grown up with them. John had nurtured you to become a great accountant, even more so than Janet. She was twice you age but you felt like her years didn't count for much other than experience, as on several occasion she'd asked you questions you wouldn't dare say out loud, for the fear of being fired over how stupid they sounded.

You were quite fond of days like today because you could bear Janet and her climate if John was around to keep you sane and make you laugh. John had great stories, you admired him because he'd started from the bottom like yourself and worked hard to get to where he was now. However he had a holiday home in France that he liked to go to fairly often with his wife and dog, it only meant you having to suffer her heiress in the corner opposite you on your own and her conversation was something you suffered through daily.

You'd been quite sure if she told you any more stories about her cat Mr Bagels, or how her eldest most darling daughter had called it that because she'd loved bagels, you'd want to stuff the thing: which was strange because you actually really loved cats.

You made your way to the dial and turned it to nineteen, giving a nod to your boss as you walked over to the lift. You pressed the button heart fluttering, Bill's floor was number five and that meant...

The door pinged open and to your joy no one was in it. You walked through the threshold and pressed five.

He'll be there...the hot one, you thought as the thrumming of each passing floor soothed your beating heart.

You didn't know his name, just that he tended to finish work at five most days and seen as you were contracted to a thirty five hour week and weren't keen on staying any past four if you didn't take a lunch you rarely saw him. Though sometimes, if Janet had been especially condescending, you liked to wait just to share a lift ride with him. Just to play the game of how much could you stare at him and guess his age before it becomes weird. So far you'd settled on mid-twenties which was great news because you didn't consider him too old or likewise too young for yourself to fantasise over.

The lift began to slow and you held your breath, "Fifth floor" it hummed as she opened her doors for you, you walked to the spot where Bill sat eyes flickering over the floor. It looked as empty as yours, but the conventions were getting bigger and bigger every year and more people chose to take part or left to be involved. You kept walking past the cubicles eyes down so you wouldn't make a fool of yourself.