Part 31

The plane lands and the captain of the plane makes the announcement, "Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to Los Angeles International Airport. Local time is 11:05 a.m. and the temperature is 68 degrees..."

I'm back home. After grabbing my luggage and taking the shuttle, an hour later, I'm unlocking the door and entering home.

I close the door behind me and when I turn around, Jess comes out of her room. "Ems!" She runs to hug me. My eyes swell up with tears, I really needed to see Jess.

"Hey," I keep her hugging, "I missed you."

She squeezes me harder and then lets go. "Me too." She nods and gives me a sympathetic smile, "How's mom?"

I take a big breath and fill her in.

After my trip to San Francisco, I flew back home to San Diego for the holidays. If that wasn't exciting enough, it got extra special when my brother surprised me by picking me at the airport. We don't get to see each other that often, so I was jumping like a little girl when he told me that he would be spending the holidays back home too.

What can I say? Christmas was wonderful. The fab four were back and it was like the old days, back when I was Emmeline Voss, from San Diego. My dad and brother were decorating the house like a winter wonderland. My mom and I cooking up all the traditional dishes for Christmas. Gifts, laughs and dancing were celebrated with my aunts, uncles, cousins and neighbors. It couldn't have been more memorable.

My brother and I spent quality time and we both caught up with each other's life. My brother landed a huge photoshoot with National Geographic and was excited to spend three weeks in South America taking photos for their exclusive issue. Also, he was getting serious with his girlfriend, so I was expected to visit him very soon to meet her. When it was my turn to share, I shied away.

After prodding and poking, literally, I gave up and told him about Leo. I left names, location and of course, 100% of the sex out. I was seeing this guy and that was it.

When he pointed at my necklace, he told me that it must be serious too. I nodded, because even I asked myself that.

The day after the party, I googled Sotheby's latest auction and Jess was right, I really needed to be on top of the news.

Every newspaper article was raving about the sale of the century, the "Heart of the Earth". A rare pink diamond that was naturally in the shape of a heart surrounded by a rare druzy quartz formation around it. It was dated to be about three centuries old. Belonging and being passed down from royalties to rich aristocrats and now, it belonged to me. If that was shocking enough, the selling price was it.

It was also dubbed the most intense bidding wars of all time. High profile individuals, from the rich 1% to sultans, princes, princesses, celebrities, etc. fought to buy the necklace. Until it reached two-in-a-half million and one anonymous buyer bid it and won it.

My jaw dropped because I was wearing, what probably belonged to a queen once upon a time, nearly a three million piece of jewelry around my neck. My jaw was still hanging down because the anonymous buyer was obviously Leo.

The mystery that surrounds him keeps me wanting to know more of him. He is exceedingly wealthy by the means of this purchase and the other question that comes up is: why did Leo buy this for me?

I texted him later that night, thanking him for the lovely gift. He responded immediately and it went on like that for almost three hours. It went on from that every single day I was away. He'd text me in the morning and at night, asking how my day went and more importantly, if I was missing him as much as he was missing me.

Every time his name would pop up, I would get excited and the realization was too obvious. Leo's hold on me was tight. It started out as pure physicality, but now...I'm not sure anymore.

I thought Leo was interested in me within the boundaries of our physical relationship, it shouldn't ignite any feelings, but little by little, it was more.

I knew it was more than just the man in the mask. That confirmation was answered three days after the new year began.

I was unpacking, settling again in my old room. I had just emailed Poppy when my phone buzzed with a text.

Two weeks was too long, I can't wait another day. Come straight to the club once you land.

I didn't bother answering. Ten minutes later, Leo texted again.

Are you asleep already?

I was going to answer him, but I couldn't. I kept typing and then deleting my message. Instead, I turned in. I turned off the lights and sat on my bed, a million thoughts swirling around and I needed it to stop.

I grabbed my phone and made a call.

On the first ring, Leo answered, "Lara," He breathed, "I was hoping for a text, but this is so much better." I pictured his smile.

I opened my mouth, but nothing came out. Just breaths.

"Lara? Lara, are you there?" He asked.

Nothing.

"Hey," He said softly, "what's wrong?" I hinted a strong worry tone in his voice.

That broke me and I started crying.

"Lara?" He asked again, "Lara, talk to me. Are you okay? What's wrong?"

So, through tears and cries, I started telling him.

It began with me tagging along with my mom, going with her to the doctor. She was coming in for her results, only to be told the worst news.

As soon as I heard those big scary words in the cruelest order, ABC. An anomaly, Maybe benign, Detected cancer. My ears were filled with white noise, nothing else was clear.

I can't even remember the rest of the evening, only numbness. I couldn't remember how I drove back home, or if I ate dinner. I only remember sitting with my dad and brother, as my mom told them. I was robotic, doing things manually like getting in contact with both Poppy and Jess in the briefest way.

There were no feelings, I was just numb. Until I called Leo and I finally felt everything one should feel when hearing this kind of news: scared, sad, shaken up, going insane.

It only took his voice to break me, to make me feel and not drown out these emotions.

He listened to me, he consoled me, he talked to me.

Leo stayed with me for three hours, asking all the right questions and telling me all the answers I desperately needed to hear. I got through it because of him.

He understood when I told him I had to stay with my mom, she was starting treatment right away and I wanted to be by her side. Leo told me to call him every day, to give him an update, not just on my mom...but on me as well.

So that went on for all of January. Through surgeries, treatments and recovery, I couldn't get through it without my family, Jess, Poppy and Leo.

My mom insisted that my brother and I go back to our lives, since the worst was over. She had my dad and she would be okay.

So, I came back today, the first of February. I've been gone too long, but with the wishes of my mom, I came back to the life waiting for me.

After a brief talk with Jessica, I went to unpack. I took everything to my room but I didn't unpack. I didn't want to. I didn't want to do anything right now. Grabbing my phone, I only did one thing:

Just got back...I need to see you tonight.

Seconds later, it was confirmed.

You know where I'll be, Mystique. See you at ten.