Part 3

"Let me formally introduce myself, my name is Blair Young". I take her hand and shake it politely. "Nice to meet you. Emmeline Voss" I reply. She nods and opens her portfolio. Grabbing a pen, she begins writing stuff down. "Emmeline Voss" she repeats and jots it down. She's very attractive. Her hair is jet black and short, with straight bangs across her forehead. She's wearing a navy suit that fits her perfectly, almost too fabulous. Her business demeanor comes off cold, except when she smiles at me and then I'm a bit eased. Too eased up that I say the first thing on my mind.

"I'm sorry, is this an interview? I'm very happy where I work at..." I say and she looks up, "I just don't want you to think that I'm interested in taking a new job"

She smiles again and brings her hands together. "Good to hear. But that isn't why I asked you to meet me here."

"Okay... I'm just not sure what this is about."

She pulls out a business card from her bag and hands it to me. "This is why I'm here."

I take the card and inspect it. It has the same faint image of the venetian mask from the invitation along with the words The Monarchy. "The Monarchy?" I ask.

"I would like to congratulate you in your invitation to The Monarchy." She says.

"Invitation?" I gesture towards the solicitation.

"This," she points to the card, "is a very exclusive gathering. Not your typically "club" scene." She adds.

I shake my head. "I'm sorry, I don't remember signing up for this Club. Ms. Young, I bel-"

"Please, call me Blair." She interrupts.

"Well, Blair. I believe that maybe there was a mixed up. I'm not interested in joining a club."

"Oh I believe you," she says with confidence. "The Monarchy isn't known to the public. We don't publicize or advertised ourselves...we don't even have a website. We are so exclusive that in all terms, we practically don't exist. In saying that, you have only received this invitation by two ways. That is how secretive we are."

I raise my eyebrow. Could she be any vaguer?

Her quiet laugh surprises me and I'm guessing she knows exactly what I'm thinking. "I know how I'm coming off...sketchy and maybe a tad creepy," she continues, "but that is the purpose. To invite you to the mystery."

Mystery. The way she says mystery has an enigmatic underlining to it. In all other unclear, hazy conversations or details, my reasonable mind would immediate put up a stop sign. I would sense danger or in an instance know that this is insane and I need to halt the conversation. But...it's funny. Reasonable senses aren't in my mind; the only sense I can make is a bit of curiosity. I'm curious in knowing why this secretive club is about.

"You said that your club is so secretive that you don't hand out invitations to just anyone," I grab my invitation and hold it up, "then how did I receive this?"

"Ah, yes. Like I mentioned before, you can only be invited by two ways. One, is by being someone's plus one. A member of the club brings a guest, their invitee." She pauses, "Now your invitation..." she points at mine, "Came from a method we call "the bait and catch".

"The bait and catch?" I repeat.

"Yes. Have you ever heard those terms before?"

I nod my head and shrug my shoulders. "By watching National Geographic. A reference to a prey and predator thing." I say and looked down at the card. And then it suddenly hits me. "Wait...are you saying what I think you mean?"

She leans in. "Personally, it's my favorite invitational technique. Makes it more interesting and elusive. Also, the curiosity of the individual is tested. Will they take a risk and call an unknown number? Is it enough to test them? To see if one can be so open minded given very vague details?"

I'm transfixed on her speech, but not enough to rule an important point. "So you're saying that someone left this for me, hoping that I...well basically putting it, I'm a fish that got hooked on the bait someone set for me?"

"Basically put." Blair simply answers.

"So what's the hook? I mean, you're telling me about secret invitations, clubs, I just..." I pause, obviously confused. "What is this club all about?"

Blair looks at me and smiles. "Do you really want to know?"

Do I really want to know? Blair has not presented any information that could make this sound less crazy. Yet, she was right about one thing. What comes into play here is curiosity, my curiosity. A desire that is coming off strong, feeding off the thrill of the unknown. I never experienced such a want, and you know what, I do want to know.

"I do."

"Fantastic." She says and pulls her phone from her bag. "I'll pick you up at ten tonight. Can you give me your address?"

"You're picking me up? I can get myself there. I mean, I can drive, it's not like I don't. If you thought that." I babble.

Blair chuckles at my rambling. "I like you. First-timers are picked up and taken to the club. We don't allow them to arrive at the club until they become official members. That's if they decide to become one."

I don't feel comfortable giving a stranger my address. I mean, this could all be a sham and this person could be out to stalk me.

"If you're not comfortable though," Blair adds, as if she sensed my reservation, "I can pick you up at a different location." She kindly offers.

"How about around the corner?" I suggest.

She smiles and gets up. "Excellent. The number you called me from last night, can I reach you with it?"

"Yes, it's my cell."

Blair extends her hand. "I will text shortly on the details for tonight." She says as I take it again and shake it goodbye. "Enjoy the rest of your day." She says and leaves, but stops and turns her head back to me, "Oh and Emmeline," she pauses, "do try and rest."

I skeptically look at her and she half-smiles at me while she cocks her head to the side. "Trust me, your mind will need it." Blair says before leaving.

I keep my gaze on her until she disappears from my view. Trying to gather my thoughts, I want to make sure that I'm in my right mind and not going crazy at all.