Part 16

Song List:

Seal-It's A Man's Man's Man's world

"Leo?" I reply.

I know he's the only who's ever called me Mystique, but wouldn't it be funny if the universe was on a coincidence kick and someone else accidentally texted me with the same pet name? Yeah, it's a stretch.

Lucky for me, my favorite deli spot wasn't crowded as usual. After placing an order, my food was ready to go in less than five minutes. As soon as I paid, I practically sprinted back to the office.

I threw a brownie at Poppy's desk-thankfully she wasn't there-and entered my office, closing the door and locking it. Setting everything on my desk, I hear the vibration from my phone.

"The one and only ;)" He texts back with a winking emoji. I can't help to laugh; I would never expect Mr. mask and mysterious to be cute.

I take a seat on the sofa. I have mixed feelings now. In one hand, I declared to put the past behind me and forget my illicit adventure. But now, I can't help to feel giddy. Funny how one text can get your mind racing. Speaking of, how could he...

"Just making sure. By the way, how did you get my number?" I finish my thought.

My message is delivered and in seconds, I see the message ellipsis pop up. "I had to convince a mutual associate of ours for your number. It goes against everything, but I needed to hear from you."

My heart begins to beat a little faster. "Why?"

"You left and never came back. I waited for you on Saturday."

I get a little peeved because there's a reason why I didn't come back. I mean surely he should know why.

"I'm surprised you would think I would go back. What girl would feel welcomed to return after your outburst?"  I let him know.

He's writing back, but then the ellipsis disappears. It happens on and off for a bit and I'm kind of glad he doesn't know how to respond.

Finally, he texts back. "I had reasons. Why didn't you just understand?"

Really? "You had reasons? That's your response? I can't understand your reasons because I don't know what they are? So, you don't want me to see you or you see me...why?" I want to comprehend.

"Why don't you come back to the club on Friday and we'll discuss this further?" He suggests.

The flutter in my stomach gets even more fluttery with his invitation. Oh, but he doesn't know that I already talked to Blair. "I actually can't. I spoke with Blair and told her that the club wasn't for me, I politely decline to become a full pledge member."

"Because I raised my voice? I hope that wasn't your reason."

Well it was a part of it, but Leo raising his voice made me realize something else.

"You scolded me like a child and it was your unwillingness to compromise. Unless you're willing to reconsider." I text back. I'm on a roll and you know what, I think I want to change things up a bit.  "You really want me to go the club on Friday?"

"More than you know Mystique." He quickly responds.

I smile. "I'll only go back if you promise me something."

"Anything." Leo texts back.

I can't believe I'm reconsidering this. Being that I was on a quest to go back to my old life not a few hours ago, but did I ever want to? The truth is...I'm still too curious and if the devil is willing to sell his soul to you, how could you pass that up?

So, I decide to text him my offer. "I want to see your face. Not now, not right away. Maybe...in time?" I'm hesitant.

The bubble ellipsis appears, disappears and re-appears for what seems like five minutes. I know Leo is considering and reconsidering my offer. He did mention before that he's never been bare with anyone. But maybe with me...maybe I can be the exception? I'm snapped out of my thoughts with the alert of a new message.

"You drive a hard bargain and I hope you're super patient, love. So yes, maybe in time." He texts and I'm happy with that sliver of hope. "Will I see you this Friday?" he adds.

"Yes. Till then, dark and mysterious." I can't help to smile.

"Till then, Mystique." He ends our conversation.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The days fly by quick and its already Friday. The drive to the club lets me try to calm my nerves that are in anxious overload. Ever since my conversation with Leo, I've been on a roll. I don't know if it's the good mood he left me with, but I've tackled my projects head on and advanced so much. With the anticipation of seeing Leo on Friday, my focus was reignited and I dove in to work. Even a touch of spontaneity made me ask Jessica to help me with a new wardrobe. We spent a great evening yesterday at the shops, hitting up boutiques and trying out new things.

It's been a while since I felt this surge. It's nice to look forward to something that isn't related to work. Even if that something is unconventional to say the least. The partition comes down and Henry, who I guess will be my driver from now on, let's me know we're here.

"Thanks Henry." I put my mask on.

With every step, my heart beats a little faster. Through the door and down the hall, I pass the barrier that are the curtains and I'm back. Soft voices and quiet laughs ring throughout The Monarchy and oddly, it feels right.  Everything seems in place. The masked patrons, the dark shade of red lights throughout the club. There is though...the vibrant melody that sounds almost live? Sure enough, the usual empty stage is now occupied with masked singers and musicians. I hand my jacket and phone to the coat checker. As I'm handed my ticket, a familiar strong hand envelops my much smaller one. "Finally," Leo growls in my ear.

I take his hand off mine. "We're not supposed to touch in public, remember?" Smile in place.

He takes it again and pulls me through the crowd and right on the dance floor where there are other couples dancing slowly. "Dance with me?" He asks me.

I nod and he takes my hand, kisses it sweetly, twirls me and then holds my hand with one and places the other behind my back. A new song starts and the masked singer begins singing about this being a man's world.

"How fitting." I huff as we sway to his crooning.

Leo gives me a menacing smile. "It has a perfect beat for dancing and the lyrics aren't that far off." He sways me so gracefully and sensually that I'm not sure how he's pulling this off.

"That it's a man's world."

"But it would be nothing, nothing without a woman or a girl " Leo sings, showing of his lovely voice. "By the way, you look absolutely stunning tonight." His eyes twinkle.

"I felt compelled to buy myself something for tonight."

"For me?" He licks his lips.

I shake my head. "No. This is for me." I point to my dress and then tip toe to reach his ear. "What I'm wearing underneath though," I whisper, "that's for you."

He kisses me so quickly, that I panic and pull back to see if anyone is seeing us. Lucky for both of us, we're hidden by a sea of couples who are too preoccupied with each other.

"Let's go see Blair." He brings back my attention. "The sooner we create our contract, the sooner I can have my devilish ways with you."

"Be more specific." I take his hand, leading us to our negotiation.

Several Kinds of HungerOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara