Chapter 33: Miracles Could Be Shattered

Start from the beginning

Just as I looked down, however, the baby was pushed out. It was red, very red, and very small. That small, tiny creature was my baby. I helped create a miracle. I watched it be born into the world. I'm a father.

The baby's sharp, piercing cry brought me to reality as I felt a tear fall down my cheek. I wasn't a crier, but dammit, the feeling of being a father has to be the best feeling in the world. I would rather be a father to my children than a king to a country. That was how amazing it felt.

"Could...could I cut the baby's cord," I cautiously asked Ms. Fields.

"Of course," she said.

I reluctantly left Shadé's side and approached the nurse.

The nurse handed me the scissors as I carefully cut the umbilical cord. This baby was a girl. It was Valencia. Valencia Milan Alexander.

The nurse smiled and headed to where the newborn checkups took place.

I turned around to see Ms. Fields pressing down on Shadé's stomach as she pushed as hard as she could.

"Oh, dear Lord! Get this baby out of me, please," she cried throwing her head back in stress.

"One more push and this baby is out, come on," the Doctor urged once again. From my view, I could definitely see that this baby didn't have as much hair as little Valencia.

"Gahhhhhhhh," Shadé screamed as she pushed with all her might. The baby hadn't cried immediately. It was slightly smaller than, but, just as red in skin tone as Valencia.

"Blanket, blanket," Dr. Hammond said, handing the baby to a different nurse with a blanket. She wrapped the baby protectively as I approached her.

"It's a boy, Your Highness. We have a little prince," she said joyously.

I gently cut my son's umbilical cord; Caine Alva Alexander. However, that's when he began to cry. His cry wasn't as loud and piercing as his sister's. It was softer, lower, and it kind of scared me.

"Fuuuck," I heard Shadé bellow behind me. I turned around just in time to see her pushing out the placentas. Gross.

"Folashadé," I said, coming close to the edge of her bed. "We have a little boy and a little girl," I informed her, leaning down to kiss her smiling lips.

"I'm so proud of you, Love. I'm so very proud of you," I said, embracing her affectionately in my arms.

"Thank you, Vince. Take pictures of them for me please. I want to see them," she weakly said as she pulled away from me.

"We're going to get her cleaned up. If you want, you and her brother could see how the babies are doing. They're in the NICU. It's further down the hall, to your left," Ms. Fields said as she brought in a mobile bed.

"Thank you," I said before pulling off my hospital gown. I headed toward the door, and opened it to find Ezra walking down the hall.

"She good or nah," he asked, coming up beside me.

"She's fine. We can see the twins," I said, gesturing for him to follow me to the NICU.

"The babies okay, too," he asked, concernedly.

"That's what I'm going to go see," I replied.

When we reached the NICU, I held my breath as my heart raced.

I spotted Valencia being placed into a large, clear container. There were four circular holes on both widths of the machine and one in the front and back.