Chapter 2: Breakfast Warnings and Confessions

Chapter 2: Breakfast, Warnings, and Confessions

Folashadé

The strong scent of pancakes, bacon, sausages, and other breakfast worthy cuisines filled the kitchen and dining room of the castle. The aroma urged me to steal a piece of bacon, however, I didn't want to ruin the perfection of this meal.

"Hey, Fola or whatever your name is," an annoying feminine voice interrupted my silent musing.

"Folashadé," I corrected her with an edge to my tone. "Good morning," I continued politely. I knew my manners.

"Gina, wants you to serve today," she said, ignoring my greeting.

I sighed lethargically. I didn't really want to see Vincent's face today, not after what I'd told him this morning. I know for a fact that he most likely hates me now, but who am I to blame? I turned down the Prince, Prince Vincent.

"Okay," I replied, taking a much calmer approach.

"Good," the girl, Aimee, said with a forced smile. I could tell she carried some kind of hostility against me. All the maids do, except Tiffany; she was a close friend. I think it's because I'm a few shades darker than everyone in the castle, except the Butler, Harold, he was black too.

Within ten minutes, the Royal family was settling into their seats. The King, Mathias, is seated at the head of the elongated dining table. His Queen, Miranda, is seated pleasantly at the other end of the table. In the middle are Princess Genevieve and Prince Rodney. The Crowned Prince, Vincent is nowhere in sight.

Mathias glared at the empty seat where Vincent should have been seated. I could sense his uneasiness. "Where's Vincent," he asked in a heavy English accent.

Harold, the Butler, spoke up, "Your Majesty, we have not seen nor heard of the young master since last night at the ball."

My eyes twitched slightly at the mention of last night.

"Well, someone go up to his chambers and check up on him," Mathias ordered loudly.

Before anyone could do or say anything, Tiffany piped up. "Yes, Your Majesty," she said in a shy voice as she turned away, out of the dining area.

"Father, if Vincent refuses to join us, then we should not have to wait on his arrival to dine. It's very rude," Rodney complained, irritably.

Mathias leaned into the table and said darkly, "Rodney, are you going up there to get him?"

"No father, but-"

"Then quiet yourself," Mathias roared.

Rodney stared intently into his father's sharp eyes. I was surprised that he could accomplish such a thing. Mathias was a very intimidating man. His merciful blue eyes could pierce directly through your soul if you stare too deeply into them.

Silence settled in as Vincent and Tiffany arrived. She looked slightly flushed in the cheeks while he looked completely smug. I knew something was up, it always is whenever he's alone with a female besides his mother and sister. And he wonders why I don't want to keep what we shared last night. Besides, it was just morally wrong for a person of high royalty to be with a servant of low class, such as myself. Friendship was fine, but a relationship? I don't think so.

His eyes, which were a light blue at the time, held my gaze for a few seconds. I heard his breath hitch in his throat as he eyed me. I broke our gaze and looked back at the dining table. I could still feel his eyes on me.

"Vincent, sit down. You're already late," Mathias spoke, annoyed.

Was he really just standing there, watching me for longer than necessary? Is he trying to get me out of here and make it known to every one of our night together? I refused to let this happen. I was not losing this job because of him.